Need some guidance - Fractions

In summary, when solving for b in the equation ##\frac{4}{3b-2}-\frac{7}{3b+2}=\frac{1}{9b^2-4}##, we can cross-multiply to get ##4(3b+2) - 7(3b-2) = \frac{1}{9b^2-4}##. Multiplying both sides by the common denominator, 9b^2 - 4, we can easily solve for b. However, we must remember to exclude any solutions that would result in a denominator of zero.
MathJakob

Homework Statement

Solve for b. ##\frac{4}{3b-2}-\frac{7}{3b+2}=\frac{1}{9b^2-4}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{4}{3b-2}-\frac{7}{3b+2}=\frac{1}{(2b-2)(3b+2)}##

##(3b-2)(3b+2)\left(\frac{4}{3b-2}\right)-\left(\frac{7}{3b+2}\right)(3b-2)(3b+2)=\left(\frac{1}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}\right)(3b-2)(3b+2)##

After cancelling this messy expression I get: ##\frac{12b+8}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}-\frac{21b-14}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}=1##

Still pretty messy so I will expand and cancel further ##\frac{4}{3b-2}-\frac{7}{3b+2}=1##

Now I am stuck :/ I'm not sure if this is even correct but I don't know how to proceed.

**EDIT** I think I see what I did wrong.

I can just cross multiply right from the beginning giving me ##4(3b-2)-7(3b+2)=\frac{1}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}## but not sure what to do now... lol I'm sure this is the sort of thing I should be doing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MathJakob! :smile:
MathJakob said:
I can just cross multiply right from the beginning giving me ##4(3b-2)-7(3b+2)=\frac{1}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}##

Yup! :biggrin:

except that RHS should just be 1, shouldn't it? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi MathJakob! :smile:

Yup! :biggrin:

except that RHS should just be 1, shouldn't it? :wink:

Why should it just be 1?

because you're multiplying both sides by (3b+2)(3b-2),

and the RHS is only 1/(3b+2)(3b-2) to start with! :wink:

EDIT: ooh, just noticed:

your 4(3b−2)−7(3b+2) should actually have been 4(3b+2)−7(3b-2)

tiny-tim said:
because you're multiplying both sides by (3b+2)(3b-2),

and the RHS is only 1/(3b+2)(3b-2) to start with! :wink:

EDIT: ooh, just noticed:

your 4(3b−2)−7(3b+2) should actually have been 4(3b+2)−7(3b-2)

oh yeh silly me D: this always happens to me when I'm doing fractions. After a while I forget even the most basic of rules... sometimes I even forget that ##\frac{x}{1}## is really just ##x## fractions are actually one of the more difficult aspects of mathematics for me...

Sometimes I just go completely brain dead, really annoying :P

MathJakob said:
**EDIT** I think I see what I did wrong.

I can just cross multiply right from the beginning giving me ##4(3b-2)-7(3b+2)=\frac{1}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}## but not sure what to do now... lol I'm sure this is the sort of thing I should be doing.

I didn't really read the preceding, but this is definitely not right. You've completely omitted the common denominator on the LHS.

When you combine the expressions on the LHS (cross-multiply), the denominator becomes ##(3b+2)(3b-2) = 9b^2 - 4##.

There's also a sign mixup in what you wrote. So what you should end up with is:

##\displaystyle \frac{4(3b+2) - 7(3b-2)}{9b^2-4} = \frac{1}{9b^2 - 4}##

Solving that is easy, just multiply both sides by ##(9b^2 - 4)##. An important caveat here is that you cannot multiply both sides of an equation by zero and hope to get valid solutions. So ##9b^2 - 4 \neq 0 \implies b \neq \pm\frac{2}{3}##, so you should exclude those solutions if you happen to encounter them when you work through the algebra. In this case, you won't see them.

1. What is a fraction?

A fraction is a numerical quantity that represents a part of a whole. It consists of two numbers, a numerator and a denominator, separated by a line, where the numerator represents the number of equal parts being considered and the denominator represents the total number of equal parts in a whole.

2. How do I add or subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, you must first ensure that the fractions have a common denominator. If they do not, you must find the least common multiple of the two denominators and convert both fractions into equivalent fractions with that common denominator. Once the fractions have a common denominator, you can simply add or subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator.

3. What is the easiest way to multiply fractions?

To multiply fractions, you simply need to multiply the numerators together and multiply the denominators together. The resulting fraction may need to be simplified by finding the greatest common factor of the numerator and denominator and dividing both by it.

4. How do I divide fractions?

Dividing fractions is the same as multiplying them, except you flip the second fraction and then follow the same steps as multiplication. This means you multiply the first numerator by the second denominator and the first denominator by the second numerator. The resulting fraction may also need to be simplified.

5. How can I use fractions in real life situations?

Fractions are used in many real life situations, such as cooking, measuring, and money. They can also be used to represent probabilities and ratios. For example, if you have a pizza with 8 slices and you eat 3 of them, you could say you have eaten 3/8 of the pizza.