1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some guidance - Fractions

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve for b. ##\frac{4}{3b-2}-\frac{7}{3b+2}=\frac{1}{9b^2-4}##

3. The attempt at a solution

##\frac{4}{3b-2}-\frac{7}{3b+2}=\frac{1}{(2b-2)(3b+2)}##

##(3b-2)(3b+2)\left(\frac{4}{3b-2}\right)-\left(\frac{7}{3b+2}\right)(3b-2)(3b+2)=\left(\frac{1}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}\right)(3b-2)(3b+2)##

After cancelling this messy expression I get: ##\frac{12b+8}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}-\frac{21b-14}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}=1##

Still pretty messy so I will expand and cancel further ##\frac{4}{3b-2}-\frac{7}{3b+2}=1##

Now I am stuck :/ I'm not sure if this is even correct but I dunno how to proceed.

**EDIT** I think I see what I did wrong.

I can just cross multiply right from the beginning giving me ##4(3b-2)-7(3b+2)=\frac{1}{(3b-2)(3b+2)}## but not sure what to do now... lol I'm sure this is the sort of thing I should be doing.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MathJakob! :smile:
    Yup! :biggrin:

except that RHS should just be 1, shouldn't it? :wink:

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3
    Why should it just be 1?

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

because you're multiplying both sides by (3b+2)(3b-2),

and the RHS is only 1/(3b+2)(3b-2) to start with! :wink:

EDIT: ooh, just noticed:

your 4(3b−2)−7(3b+2) should actually have been 4(3b+2)−7(3b-2)

6. Aug 3, 2013 #5
    oh yeh silly me D: this always happens to me when I'm doing fractions. After a while I forget even the most basic of rules... sometimes I even forget that ##\frac{x}{1}## is really just ##x## fractions are actually one of the more difficult aspects of mathematics for me...

Sometimes I just go completely brain dead, really annoying :P

7. Aug 4, 2013 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I didn't really read the preceding, but this is definitely not right. You've completely omitted the common denominator on the LHS.

When you combine the expressions on the LHS (cross-multiply), the denominator becomes ##(3b+2)(3b-2) = 9b^2 - 4##.

There's also a sign mixup in what you wrote. So what you should end up with is:

##\displaystyle \frac{4(3b+2) - 7(3b-2)}{9b^2-4} = \frac{1}{9b^2 - 4}##

Solving that is easy, just multiply both sides by ##(9b^2 - 4)##. An important caveat here is that you cannot multiply both sides of an equation by zero and hope to get valid solutions. So ##9b^2 - 4 \neq 0 \implies b \neq \pm\frac{2}{3}##, so you should exclude those solutions if you happen to encounter them when you work through the algebra. In this case, you won't see them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted