Need some help with an exponent simplification questions

• Thread starter i-love-physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponent
In summary, the student is asking for help in simplifying an expression with positive exponents. They provide their attempt and the correct answer, but are confused about where they went wrong. Another user points out that the student made a mistake in their simplification, and the student thanks them for their help. They wonder why they didn't see the solution themselves and suggest it may be due to fatigue or trying to learn too much math at once.
i-love-physics

Homework Statement

express the given expression in simplest form with only possitive exponents

Homework Equations

**refer to attached drawing**

The Attempt at a Solution

Refer to attached drawing to see my attempt and to see what the real answer is. I don't understand where i went wrong in my steps, in the final answer there is a (-4n) i don't know where that came from.

Greatly appreciated if one of you smart guys could lend us a hand. Thank you.

Attachments

• the equation.JPG
    the equation.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 390
  • my attempt.JPG
    my attempt.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
you have
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{n}- \frac{2}{n}\right)^2[/tex]
and say that is equal to
[tex]\left(\frac{n-2n^2}{n^3}\right)^2[/tex]
While they are equal, the LEAST common denominator is n2, not n3. You do, in fact, eventually cancel the spare "n"s so that is not the problem.

The real problem is that you have
[tex]\left(\frac{n- 2n^2}{n^3}\right)^2[/tex]
and say that is equal to
[tex]\frac{n^2- 4n^4}{n^6}[/tex]
That is incorrect: (a- b)2 is NOT a2- b2!
It is a2- 2ab+ b2. You forgot the "middle term".

thanks

Thanks a lot HallsofIvy, i appreciate your help mate.

It was such an obvious solution i can't believe i didnt figure it out myself.

Why does this happen sometimes?, the answer is right in front of you but a person still fails to see it?

I think i must be tired from work that is why. Or mybe i am craming in too much maths information into my brain in such a short period of time.

Anyway...thanks again.

What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that represents repeated multiplication of a number by itself. It is usually written as a superscript to the right of the base number.

How do I simplify an exponent?

To simplify an exponent, you can use the rules of exponents, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and negative exponent rule. These rules allow you to manipulate the exponent and base numbers to simplify the expression.

What is the difference between a positive and negative exponent?

A positive exponent indicates that the base number is multiplied by itself a certain number of times, while a negative exponent indicates that the base number is divided by itself a certain number of times. For example, 23 means 2 multiplied by itself 3 times, while 2-3 means 2 divided by itself 3 times.

Can exponents be added or subtracted?

Yes, exponents can be added or subtracted if they have the same base number. For example, 23 + 22 can be simplified to 25 by adding the exponents together.

Can I use a calculator to simplify exponents?

Yes, many calculators have a button or function specifically for solving exponents. However, it is still important to understand the rules of exponents and how to simplify them manually.