Need some help with limits and continuity

In summary, the value of c for which f(x) is continuous at x=0 is 1. The limit of f(x) as x approaches ∞ is also equal to 1 when the variable is in the exponent.
dustinm
I have 2 questions in regards to continuity and limits.

Question 1:
f(x)= e[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] if x ≠ 0.
f(x)= c if x=0.

For which value of c is f(x) continuous at x=0?

I was thinking the answer would be 1 but I feel that's incorrect.

Question 2:
Compute lim x→∞f(x).

I'm not familiar with how to solve limits to infinity when the variable is in the exponent.
Any and all help is appreciated! thank you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
dustinm said:
I have 2 questions in regards to continuity and limits.

Question 1:
f(x)= e[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] if x ≠ 0.
f(x)= c if x=0.

For which value of c is f(x) continuous at x=0?

I was thinking the answer would be 1 but I feel that's incorrect.

Ok, what does it mean to be continuous at x = 0? Look at your definitions.

dustinm said:
Question 2:
Compute lim x→∞f(x).

What does the exponent of e approach as x goes to ∞?

gb7nash said:
Ok, what does it mean to be continuous at x = 0? Look at your definitions.

It means that f(x)=f(c) as x→c. So basically that the function can be drawn without having to lift the pen to complete the graph.

gb7nash said:
What does the exponent of e approach as x goes to ∞?

So, e[itex]^{-∞^{2}}[/itex] would be approaching -∞?

dustinm said:
It means that f(x)=f(c) as x→c. So basically that the function can be drawn without having to lift the pen to complete the graph.

Almost. f(x)→f(c) as x→c. In other words:

[tex]\lim_{x \to c}f(x) = f(c)[/tex]

So we need to look at the left side and the right side of the equation. Replacing c with 0, what is [itex]\lim_{x \to c}f(x)[/itex]? What is f(c)? Are they equal? If so...
dustinm said:
So, e[itex]^{-∞^{2}}[/itex] would be approaching -∞?

You're not thinking this all the way through. The exponent is approaching -∞ like you said. What's e raised to a large negative number?

gb7nash said:
Almost. f(x)→f(c) as x→c. In other words:

[tex]\lim_{x \to c}f(x) = f(c)[/tex]

So we need to look at the left side and the right side of the equation. Replacing c with 0, what is [itex]\lim_{x \to c}f(x)[/itex]? What is f(c)? Are they equal? If so...

f(c)=0 and if you were to replace that into the equation for f(x) you would get f(x)=e[itex]^{-0^{2}}[/itex] which would end up equaling 1, right?

Sorry about this, all of this is really new to me so it's tough to grasp at first.

gb7nash said:
You're not thinking this all the way through. The exponent is approaching -∞ like you said. What's e raised to a large negative number?

Ahh so it would be 0 because e[itex]^{-∞}[/itex] is extremely small.

dustinm said:
if you were to replace that into the equation for f(x) you would get f(0)=e[itex]^{-0^{2}}[/itex] which would end up equaling 1, right?

Correct (I fixed a typo of yours). That's the right side of the equation. Now you need to look at the left side, which is:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}e^{-x^2}[/tex]

Is this also equal to 1?

dustinm said:
Ahh so it would be 0 because e[itex]^{-∞}[/itex] is extremely small.

Correct.

gb7nash said:
Correct (I fixed a typo of yours). That's the right side of the equation. Now you need to look at the left side, which is:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}e^{-x^2}[/tex]

Is this also equal to 1?

Yes that would be 1.
So the final answer for making the graph continuous at 0 needs to be 1?

dustinm said:
Yes that would be 1.
So the final answer for making the graph continuous at 0 needs to be 1?

Correct.

gb7nash said:
Correct.

Thank you very much for the help with these questions!
Walking me through it helped out a bunch!

1. What are limits and continuity?

Limits and continuity are fundamental concepts in calculus that describe the behavior of a function as the input values approach a specific point or value.

2. How do I determine the limit of a function?

To determine the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic techniques such as factoring and simplifying, or you can use graphical techniques by plotting the function and observing the behavior near the specific point.

3. What is a one-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is a limit that is approached from either the left or right side of a specific point. It is denoted by writing a plus or minus sign next to the point, such as f(x+) for a limit approached from the right side or f(x-) for a limit approached from the left side.

4. Can a function have a limit at a point but not be continuous?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a limit at a point but not be continuous. This can happen if the function has a hole or a jump at the specific point, which causes a discontinuity in the graph.

5. How do I determine continuity of a function?

To determine continuity of a function, you need to check three conditions: 1) the function must be defined at the specific point, 2) the limit of the function at that point must exist, and 3) the limit must equal the value of the function at that point. If all three conditions are met, then the function is continuous at that point.