Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need something to reflect replel magnetic ways

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    need something to reflect replel magnetic effects

could someone please give me a list of easy to mould\shape metal\substance that will reflect\repel magnetics. i can remember a metal (think it was metal) that could be heated\melted and worked with quite easily to pour into moulds.

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2
    As far as I am aware, there are no insulators for magnetic fields. The energy of the field can be diverted into electrical current, thus acting as a sink. You may want to post on the General Physics forum to develop your solution.
  4. Oct 2, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

No, don't repost this somewhere else -- that is against the PF rules.

To the Original Poster (OP) -- to guide the magnetic field lines (provide shielding for something), you use a high-mu material like iron or mu-metal. Iron or steel sheilds you can make yourself, but mu-metal shields need to be annealed at high temperatures once they are formed. You can't start with a sheet of mu-metal and bend it up into a shield, unless you then anneal it to restore the high-mu properties. More info on mu-metal shielding is at this website:

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    Whoops. I'll take a look at those rules, berkeman. Thanks for the headsup.
  6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    If the magnetic field is AC at a sufficient frequency (not really 60Hz), then a simple conductor (Al, Cu...) will block it.

In DC, only superconductors block magnetic fields, but their constraints are accepted by few applications.

Then indeed, the remaining solution is to offer a short path to the field. But depending on the acceptable strength of the remaining field, expensive mumetal can be replaced by a soft steel.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?