Need advice on ways to heat up metals

In summary, the conversation was about a person seeking help with a project idea involving heating up metals. They were looking for information on different ways to heat up metals and which types of metals would work best. They also asked about how to control the heat and if it was possible to create multiple heating pads that could work together. They also mentioned the possibility of using air to emit heat through holes in the metal. They asked for any additional information or resources that could help them with their research.
ArabAmer
Hey everyone,
I am posting because I need some help. I have a project idea that I really want to pursue but I am not well educated when it comes to physics and chemical related topics. I want to know what are the different ways to heat up metals, but also which metals would that procedure work on. For example, let's say I wanted to make some sort of pad or thick sheet of metal (kind of shaped like a sponge). How can I get this pad to generate or emit heat? How can I get it to stop heating up and slowly cool down? Is there a way that I can put two or three (or more) of these pads close (maybe like an inch or two apart but not touch) and cause them to generate heat? Or let's say I put holes from one side to the other side of the pad, would there be any way that it can emit heat after having air passing through the holes, thus through the pad itself? Give me everything you got. I am open to all you guys have to say. Also, THANK YOU! I really need your help and appreciate any piece of information you're teaching me or informing me with.
(I am not an engineer, chemist, physicist or such. Just a guy with an idea doing a whole lot of research. If you know any other places or websites or books I can read to educate me more specifically on what I am asking above, please suggest them to me. Thanks.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google "Regenerative ovens."

1. How do I choose the best method for heating up metals?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a heating method for metals, including the type of metal, its thickness, and the temperature needed. Some common methods include induction heating, flame heating, and resistive heating. It is important to consult with an expert to determine the best method for your specific application.

2. Can I use a microwave to heat up metals?

No, microwaves are not suitable for heating up metals. They are only effective for heating materials that contain water molecules, such as food. Attempting to heat metals in a microwave can be dangerous and may damage the appliance.

3. Is it necessary to preheat metals before welding?

Yes, preheating metals before welding is often necessary to ensure a strong and clean weld. Preheating helps to reduce the risk of cracking and helps the metal to reach the desired temperature more quickly during the welding process.

4. What safety precautions should I take when heating up metals?

Heating up metals can be hazardous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and aprons, and ensuring proper ventilation to avoid inhaling any fumes or gases. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents.

5. How can I control the temperature when heating up metals?

The best way to control the temperature when heating up metals is by using a temperature-measuring device, such as an infrared thermometer or a pyrometer. These tools can help you monitor the temperature and make adjustments as needed to ensure the metal reaches the desired temperature without overheating.