Need to calculate work -- Lifting and then sliding a box....

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of work (A) required to lift a box 1.2m in height and slide it horizontally for a distance of 1.2m. The coefficient of friction is given as 0.2 (μ). Two formulas are provided to calculate the work: A = F * h and A = F * l * μ. The first formula is used to calculate the work required to lift the box, which results in 300 Joules. The second formula is used to calculate the work required to slide the box, which results in 60 Joules. The validity of the formulas is questioned, and resources are provided for further understanding.
MisterP

Homework Statement

To lift a box it needs 250N force (F). How much work (A) has to be done to lift it at height (h) 1.2m and to slide it horizontaly (l) 1.2m. Coefficient of friction is 0.2 (μ)
F = 250N
h = 1.2m
l = 1.2m
μ = 0.2
A = ? on both situations
2. Homework Equations

A = F * h
A = F * l * μ

The Attempt at a Solution

A (when box has to be lifted) = 250 * 1.2 = 300 J (Joules)
A(when box has to be slided) = 250 * 1.2 * 0.2 = 60J

Is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any doubts ?

I have the right answers and I just made these formulas up to get to answers, that's why I am asking. Answers are given. :)

MisterP said:
thats why I am asking
And I was asking if you have any doubts. Do you ?

Where you said "I just made these formulas up", do you mean that since you knew what the right answer was, you played with the data until you found what combination of operations with them would yield that answer? If I assume the answer to that is yes, then I assume your need is to understand how and why that worked.
For a discussion of what your formula A = F * h did, go to the website http://www.softschools.com/formulas/physics/work_formula/84/
Your A = F * l * μ worked, but the order in which you wrote the 3 parameters suggests lack of understanding.
For a discussion of how to calculate the force required to overcome friction, go to http://www.softschools.com/formulas/physics/friction_formula/32/

I hope this helps.
Or, you may reply to my reply if you would like to get further help toward better understanding.

1. How do you calculate the work done when lifting and then sliding a box?

The work done in this scenario can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to lift the box by the distance it is lifted, and then adding the force applied to slide the box by the distance it is slid.

2. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance moved in the direction of the force.

3. Does the weight of the box affect the amount of work done?

Yes, the weight of the box does affect the amount of work done. The greater the weight of the box, the more force is required to lift and slide it, resulting in a higher amount of work done.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the work done?

The angle of inclination, or the angle at which the box is lifted and slid, affects the work done by changing the distance over which the force is applied. The work done will be greater for a steeper incline, as the distance over which the force is applied is greater.

5. Can you use different units for force and distance when calculating work?

Yes, you can use different units for force and distance when calculating work. However, it is important to ensure that the units are consistent throughout the calculation in order to obtain an accurate result.