Need to construct a finite series with certain properties

In summary, to construct a finite series with N elements where element 1 has the value A, element N has the value B, and elements 1 through N sum to Z, it is possible to use the series: A, (Z-A-B)/(N-2), (Z-A-B)/(N-2), ..., B. However, implementing the minimax criteria to minimize the largest difference between any adjacent numbers in the series may not be possible. The best approach would be to have all interior points increasing, decreasing, or equal.
avalys
I need to construct a finite series with N elements, such that:

element 1 has the value A
element N has the value B
elements 1 through N sum to Z

A, B and Z are all positive numbers, as is Z. Additionally, I would like minimize the largest difference between any adjacent numbers in the series - i.e. minimize max_i(abs(N_i - N_i+1))

It is trivial to construct this series:

A, (Z-A-B)/(N-2), (Z-A-B)/(N-2), ..., B

which has the appropriate sum - but I don't know how to implement the minimax criteria.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
avalys said:
It is trivial to construct this series:

A, (Z-A-B)/(N-2), (Z-A-B)/(N-2), ..., B

which has the appropriate sum - but I don't know how to implement the minimax criteria.

You can't do any better than to have all of the interior points increasing (if a < b), decreasing (if a > b), or equal (if a = b). So it looks like you already have the answer.

1. How do I construct a finite series with certain properties?

To construct a finite series with certain properties, you will need to determine the desired properties first. Then, using mathematical formulas and techniques, you can create a series that meets those specific properties.

2. What are some common properties that can be imposed on a finite series?

Some common properties that can be imposed on a finite series include having a specific sum, having a specific number of terms, having a specific pattern, or satisfying a specific recurrence relation.

3. Is there a specific method for constructing a finite series with certain properties?

Yes, there are various methods for constructing finite series with certain properties, such as using arithmetic or geometric progression, using binomial coefficients, or using recurrence relations.

4. Can I construct a finite series with any desired properties?

In theory, yes, you can construct a finite series with any desired properties. However, the complexity of the series and the availability of suitable mathematical techniques may vary.

5. How important is it to construct a finite series with certain properties?

The importance of constructing a finite series with certain properties depends on the context and purpose. In mathematics and science, it can be crucial for solving problems and making predictions. In other fields, such as finance and economics, it may be used for modeling and analyzing data.