1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to find the Ricci scalar curvature of this metric

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Need to find the Ricci scalar curvature of this metric:
    ds2 = e2a(z)(dx2 + dy2) + dz2 − e2b(z)dt2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to find the solution, but failed to pass the calculation of Riemann curvature tensor:

<The Christoffel connection> Here a'(z) denotes the first derivative of a(z) respect to z.
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{x}{xz}[/itex]=[itex]\Gamma\stackrel{x}{zx}[/itex]=a'(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{y}{yz}[/itex]=[itex]\Gamma\stackrel{y}{zy}[/itex]=a'(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{z}{tt}[/itex]=b'(z)e2b(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{z}{xx}[/itex]=[itex]\Gamma\stackrel{z}{yy}[/itex]=-a'(z)e2a(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{t}{tz}[/itex]=[itex]\Gamma\stackrel{t}{zt}[/itex]=b'(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{}{either}[/itex]=0

<The Riemann curvature tensor>
    [itex]\R\stackrel{x}{zxz}[/itex]=[itex]\R\stackrel{y}{zyz}[/itex]=-a''(z)-[a'(z)]2
    [itex]\R\stackrel{z}{tzt}[/itex]=b''(z)+[b'(z)]2

I tried to find the Ricci scalar curvature(R) from current result, but it gave a function depend on z. Is there any problem in my calculation?

Thanks for answering this question~!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2
    Why wouldn't it depend on z when your metric does. You can compare this to the FRW-metric. In that case, the metric and the scalar curvature depend on time.

The results look reasonable but I'm a bit too lazy to check it explicitly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook