Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to find the Ricci scalar curvature of this metric

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    Need to find the Ricci scalar curvature of this metric:

ds2 = e2a(z)(dx2 + dy2) + dz2 − e2b(z)dt2

I tried to find the solution, but failed to pass the calculation of Riemann curvature tensor:

<The Christoffel connection> Here a'(z) denotes the first derivative of a(z) respect to z.
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{x}{xz}[/itex]=[itex]\Gamma\stackrel{x}{zx}[/itex]=a'(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{y}{yz}[/itex]=[itex]\Gamma\stackrel{y}{zy}[/itex]=a'(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{z}{tt}[/itex]=b'(z)e2b(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{z}{xx}[/itex]=[itex]\Gamma\stackrel{z}{yy}[/itex]=-a'(z)e2a(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{t}{tz}[/itex]=[itex]\Gamma\stackrel{t}{zt}[/itex]=b'(z)
    [itex]\Gamma\stackrel{}{either}[/itex]=0

<The Riemann curvature tensor>
    [itex]R\stackrel{x}{zxz}[/itex]=[itex]R\stackrel{y}{zyz}[/itex]=-a''(z)-[a'(z)]2
    [itex]R\stackrel{z}{tzt}[/itex]=b''(z)+[b'(z)]2

I tried to find the Ricci scalar curvature(R) from current result, but it gave a function depend on z. Is there any problem in my calculation?

Thanks for answering this question~!

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I didn't check your calculation, but why do you think the Ricci scalar shouldn't depend on z?

4. May 27, 2012 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I got the same for the Christoffel symbols, but I got a lot more non-zero elements for the Riemann curvature tensor.

5. May 27, 2012 #4
    Sorry for that I did not write down the other non-zero terms of Riemann curvature tensor which can be deduced by symmetry and anti-symmetry properties.
    However, I still have a contradiction that
    Rt _ztz-b''(z)-[b'(z)]2
    but
    Rz_tzt=[b''(z)+[b'(z)]2]e2b(z)

Did you also get the same result?

6. May 28, 2012 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

I get

Rztzt = -[b''(z)+[b'(z)]2]e2b(z)

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  7. May 28, 2012 #6
    Thank you, I will check my result again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook