1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative numbers to non-interger powers

1. Jul 17, 2006 #1
    Hello,

How would you determine the value of such numbers as -3^1.5?

Thanks,
    -scott

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex] - 3 ^{ 1.5} = - 3^ {\frac 3 2} [/tex]

Do either the square root or the cube first, either way results in the square root of a negative number. So the solution lies in the imaginary plane.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  4. Jul 17, 2006 #3
    Have you ever worked with complex numbers before? Define i = (-1)^0.5
    -3^1.5 = (3)^1.5 * (-1)^1.5 = 3^1.5 * (-1)^1 * (-1)^0.5 =
    [tex] -i3\sqrt{3}[/tex]. By extension of this procedure one can define negative numbers to any power.

5. Jul 17, 2006 #4
    hmm... idk i would just put it in the caculator :D but i do know that a negative number squared by an odd nuber is X i idk if this helps

6. Jul 18, 2006 #5
    As you wrote it, you do not have a square root of a negative number:
    [tex]-3^{1.5} = -3^{\frac{3}{2}} = - \sqrt{27} = - 3\sqrt{3}[/tex]

On the other hand,
    [tex](-3)^{1.5} = (-3)^{\frac{3}{2}} = \sqrt{-27} = 3i \sqrt{3}[/tex]

[tex](-3)^{1.5} = (-3)^{\frac{3}{2}} = \sqrt{-27} = \sqrt{27} \sqrt{-1} = \boxed{3i \sqrt{3}}[/tex]
    not
    [tex]-3i \sqrt{3}[/tex]

*Also, note that:
    [tex]\forall x < 0, x^k \notin \mathbb{R} \; \text{ if } \, k \notin \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  7. Jul 18, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You posted this 9 times?! I deleted the other 8.

A good point!

While "the" square root of a positive real number is define to be the positive root, that is not true for complex numbers, where most functions are "multi-valued". (-3)1.5 has two values,
    [itex]3i\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]-3i\sqrt{3}[/itex]

?? or even if k is rational: 1.5 is certainly rational! Did you mean
    [tex]k \notin \mathbb {I}[/tex]?

8. Jul 18, 2006 #7
    Not really ~~

The problem was that I couldn't edit the [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] just by using the "Edit" or "Go Advanced". I had to post, delete, and repost :frown: (for some time, so it "appeared" as though I posted nine times)

I see; so the answer is then
    [tex]\pm 3i\sqrt{3}[/tex]

I didn't intend to be an 'if and only if' statement...

Not really//
    my statement there wasn't necessarily for scott_alesk's question;
    it's just a property I like, that's related to complex numbers (~which this thread involves~).

What I meant to say was that any negative real raised to an irrational power cannot be a real number (the imaginary part of all solutions for [itex]x^k[/itex] is always nonzero if [itex]x<0[/itex] and [itex]k \notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex]).

(However, is this also the case if [itex]k\notin \mathbb{Z}[/itex] ? But doesn't [itex] (-1)^{1 / 3} [/itex] have one real solution equal to [itex]-1[/itex] ?)

9. Jul 18, 2006 #8

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Sometimes after you've changed the latex by editing and committed the changes, they don't show until you refresh the page.

10. Jul 18, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My reader is so messed up it doesn't always show the changes even after "refresh"! Sometimes what I do is make the changes, copy it, then delete the post (clicking "physically remove") and paste into a new post.

11. Jul 18, 2006 #10
    ~That's exactly what I did! (..."nine times" :frown:)

12. Jul 19, 2006 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note the part about clicking "physically remove"!

13. Jul 19, 2006 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I often open the image itself in a new window, and reload that. It's easy to do in opera, but I don't know about the other major browsers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?