Neil deGrasse Tyson on Nikola Tesla and electromagnetic energy

In summary: But that's not really important to the average viewer. In summary, Dr. Tyson discusses Nikola Tesla and how energy is transmitted through wires, which may seem bizarre to some. He clarifies that it is the energy that propagates through the E and B fields generated by voltage and current, rather than physically traveling through the wires. While there may be some potential for confusion with his word choice, it is likely that his intended audience would not notice the distinction.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I came across this video where Dr. Tyson talks about Nikola Tesla.
Neil Tyson on Tesla.
From 4:47 onwards, he says "We now send energy through wires", and talks about how bizarre it would be to walk around/stand in the way of such energy flow. Further he says the power transmission lines are suspended at some height/buried underground, have insulation etc so the people can't get "in the way" of the flowing energy.
With these statements, is he implying electrical energy actually flows "through" the wires? I understand that being exposed to EM fields is terrible for our health and why he is against Tesla's idea of sending energy through radio waves, but I am not sure what he meant by "sending energy through wires" stuff.

Maybe I am overthinking and missing his point?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are transmission lines being used to transport energy, yes. At low powers you mostly just transfer information on transmission lines. At high powers you transmit energy, and sometimes a little information.

And then there is Power over Ethernet (POE), etc. :wink:

Likes cnh1995
BTW, it's not completely accurate to say the power is being transported through the wires. It's more accurate to say that the energy propagates in the E and B fields generated by the voltage and current waveforms in the wires. At least for AC power transmission.

Likes Klystron, vanhees71 and cnh1995
berkeman said:
BTW, it's not completely accurate to say the power is being transported through the wires. It's more accurate to say that the energy propagates in the E and B fields generated by the voltage and current waveforms in the wires. At least for AC power transmission.
Yes that is what I thought.
Also when he freaked out about "standing in the way of energy flowing through air to power a lightbulb" , I thought of birds chilling on a high voltage transmission line conductor. When birds stand on a high power conductor, some energy must be flowing through their bodies as well, and they are not harmed (or at least not destroyed instantly!).
So I wondered whether he actually implied the energy is packed in the wires and transported instead of sending it through air.
Now I think I am being pedantic and focusing on the wrong part of the story!

cnh1995 said:
some energy must be flowing through their bodies as well, and they are not harmed
That is correct. Energy flowing through your body does not cause harm. What causes harm is energy that is absorbed by your body. That is energy that flows into your body and not out.

Likes Klystron, vanhees71, russ_watters and 2 others
The potential difference between two points a few centimeters apart on a cable with very low resistance is very small. Typical currents in high voltage power lines are given as few thousand amperes (I found 4000 A value quoted for the very high voltage lines) to few hundred amps in the secondary lines. The resistance of cables is given in the 30-60 mOhms/1000 ft range, which comes to micro-ohms per centimeter. If you touch the two terminals of a 1.5V battery while it powers an LED or flashlight you are "exposed" to a higher potential difference than the bird on the cable. Some "energy" goes through you though. But most of it gets to the flashlight.

Likes cnh1995
If the power line frequency is very high, however, such that the spacing between wires is a significant part of a wavelength, then the bird will be exposed to electric fields acting along the wire.

But it is 60 Hz, isn't it? The wavelength is of the order of thousands of kilometers.

Maybe Teisen should study Poynting's and the other "Maxwellians'" achievements before producing youtube movies :-(.

vanhees71 said:
Maybe Teisen should study Poynting's and the other "Maxwellians'" achievements before producing youtube movies :-(.
Yes, for someone with no/little scientific background, his choice of words and expressions would most likely imply energy is transported through wires, which is misleading.

cnh1995 said:
Yes, for someone with no/little scientific background, his choice of words and expressions would most likely imply energy is transported through wires, which is misleading.
How would you explain it to a lay audience without making their eyes glaze over?

vela said:
How would you explain it to a lay audience without making their eyes glaze over?
Just say “along the wires” instead of “through the wires”

Likes cnh1995
Dale said:
From the context I'm inferring from the OP, that seems like a pedantic quibble about word choice.

Likes Motore
vela said:
From the context I'm inferring from the OP, that seems like a pedantic quibble about word choice.
What more is needed than that word choice?

berkeman said:
It's more accurate to say that the energy propagates in the E and B fields generated by the voltage and current waveforms in the wires. At least for AC power transmission.

cnh1995 said:
So I wondered whether he actually implied the energy is packed in the wires and transported instead of sending it through air.
vanhees71 said:

Dale said:
I feel certain that Dr Tyson is aware of the physics. Of course using any known technology would lead to rapidly diminishing energy flux with distance thereby requiring very large fields
The energy is of course guided by the wires to be a localized flux. As @Dale says. Not "in the wires"

Likes vela and cnh1995
Dale said:
What more is needed than that word choice?
My point is that the intended audience for his video likely wouldn't notice the subtlety, so it doesn't really matter. Would it have been better if he said "along" instead of "through"? Sure, but it would mostly be so that people like us wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's an idiot who doesn't know basic electromagnetism.

Likes Motore and hutchphd

What is the connection between Neil deGrasse Tyson and Nikola Tesla?

Neil deGrasse Tyson, a renowned astrophysicist and science communicator, has often spoken about the work and contributions of Nikola Tesla, an inventor and engineer known for his work with electricity and electromagnetic energy.

What did Neil deGrasse Tyson say about Nikola Tesla's understanding of electromagnetic energy?

In an interview, Neil deGrasse Tyson praised Nikola Tesla for his deep understanding of electromagnetic energy and its potential for wireless power transmission. Tyson also highlighted Tesla's contributions to the development of alternating current (AC) electricity.

What is the controversy surrounding Nikola Tesla's work with electromagnetic energy?

Some people believe that Nikola Tesla's ideas and inventions related to electromagnetic energy were suppressed or overlooked by the scientific community during his lifetime. However, there is also evidence that Tesla's ideas were not fully developed or practical enough to be implemented at the time.

How did Nikola Tesla's work with electromagnetic energy impact modern technology?

Nikola Tesla's work with electricity and electromagnetic energy laid the foundation for many modern technologies such as radio, remote control, and wireless communication. His inventions and theories also influenced the development of modern power grids and the use of AC electricity.

What can we learn from Nikola Tesla's approach to understanding electromagnetic energy?

Nikola Tesla's approach to understanding electromagnetic energy was based on experimentation and observation rather than theoretical calculations. This serves as a reminder for scientists to not only rely on established theories but also to explore new ideas and possibilities through experimentation.