Nernst potential and reverse potentials

Goldman-Hodgkin-Katz equation. This equation takes into account the concentrations of different ions inside and outside the cell, as well as their permeabilities. To find the nernst potential for each ion, you can use the Nernst equation and plug in the concentration gradient of each ion. In summary, To find the reversal potential for conductance equally permeable to sodium and potassium, you can use the Goldman-Hodgkin-Katz equation. To find the nernst potential for each ion, you can use the Nernst equation and plug in the concentration gradient of each ion.
madbeemer
I know the following
ion/inside cell/outside cell
Cl- 5mM 150 mM
K+ 130mM 5mM
Na+ 20mM 140mM
Ca2+ 10^-4mM 2mM

How would I find the reversal potential for conductance equally permeable to sodium and potassium?
How do I find the reversal potential for a conductance equally permeable to sodium, potassium, and chlorine?
Also, how do I find the nernst potential for each ion at the below external and internal concentrations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Helllp, please! I tried and phailed T_T

You use fick's law to get nernst right?

madbeemer said:
Helllp, please! I tried and phailed T_T

You use fick's law to get nernst right?
Have you looked at this?

Yes. How I use it?

For reversal potential

1. What is Nernst potential?

The Nernst potential is the voltage at which the net flow of a specific ion across a membrane is zero. It takes into account the concentration gradient and the charge of the ion to determine the equilibrium potential at which there is no net movement of ions.

2. How is Nernst potential calculated?

The Nernst potential can be calculated using the Nernst equation: E = (RT/zF) ln([ion]outside/[ion]inside), where E is the Nernst potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, z is the charge of the ion, F is Faraday's constant, and [ion]outside and [ion]inside are the concentrations of the ion outside and inside the cell, respectively.

3. What is the significance of Nernst potential?

The Nernst potential is important for understanding the movement of ions across a membrane and maintaining the resting membrane potential. It also plays a role in the generation of action potentials in neurons and muscle cells.

4. What is a reverse potential?

A reverse potential is the voltage at which the direction of ion flow across a membrane is reversed. This can occur when the membrane potential becomes more positive than the Nernst potential, causing the ion channel to open in the opposite direction.

5. What factors can influence the Nernst potential?

The Nernst potential can be influenced by changes in temperature, ion concentration, and ion permeability. Any changes in these factors can alter the equilibrium potential and affect the movement of ions across the membrane.