Finding Formulas from Systematic Names: How Does the Number in Parentheses Help?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the oxidation numbers and formulas of various compounds, including sodium chlorate(I), sodium chlorate(V), potassium nitride(III), phosphorus(III) chloride, and magnesium iodate(I). The use of Roman numerals in the compound names indicates the oxidation number of the central atom. The process for determining the formula involves balancing the charges of the ions to make the molecule neutral. The conversation also mentions that this nomenclature may be different from the traditional "ate", "ite", "per...ate" system.
IDK10

Homework Statement

Sodium chlorate(I)
Sodium chlorate(V)
Potassium nitride(III)
Phosphorus(III) chloride
Magnesium iodate(I)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the number in the bracket refers to what's before it, i.e. in sodium chlorate(V), the (V) means that the chlorine has an oxidation number of +5, but how does this help me find the fomula of the copound.

For example with sodium chlorate(V):
I know its made from sodium (Na+) ions, and chlorate(ClO3-) ions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Molecule must be neutral, assume charge on oxygen to be -2.

I'm not familiar with the use of this style for negative oxidation numbers, e.g. potassium nitride(III), if this is really K3N and not a typo for potassium nitrate(III) = potassium nitrite = KNO2.

Borek said:
Molecule must be neutral, assume charge on oxygen to be -2.
For sodium chlorate(I)
Na would be +1
Cl would be +1
and O would be -2
1 + 1 - 3(2) = -4 (what would I do with this?)

Or

Na + 1 -6 = 0
Na = 5 (?)

For sodium chlorate(V)
Na would be +1
Cl would be +5
and O would be -2
1 + 5 - 3(-2) = 0
NaClO3

How many oxygens are there in sodium chlorate(I)?
Note: in this nomenclature you must not get hung up on the notion that e.g. "chlorate" means "ClO3". All oxysalts are "ates" with different oxidation number of the central atom. This is quite different from the "ate", "ite", "per...ate" system.

mjc123 said:
How many oxygens are there in sodium chlorate(I)?
Note: in this nomenclature you must not get hung up on the notion that e.g. "chlorate" means "ClO3". All oxysalts are "ates" with different oxidation number of the central atom. This is quite different from the "ate", "ite", "per...ate" system.
I'm not sure, I have to find the formula just from the name. I know sodium chlorate(v) has 3.

IDK10 said:
For sodium chlorate(I)
Na would be +1
Cl would be +1
and O would be -2

And assuming one Na and one Cl, how many oxygens are needed for the molecule to be neutral?

Borek said:
And assuming one Na and one Cl, how many oxygens are needed for the molecule to be neutral?
While I was away, amd therefore didn't see your reply, I was thinking and I think i got it:
1 + 1 -2O = 0
-2O = -2
O = 1
NaClO?

IDK10 said:
While I was away, amd therefore didn't see your reply, I was thinking and I think i got it:
1 + 1 -2O = 0
-2O = -2
O = 1
NaClO?

Yep.

Try with chlorate(III) and chlorate(V).

Borek said:
Yep.

Try with chlorate(III) and chlorate(V).
Sodium chlorate(III):
1+3-2O=0
-2O=-4
O=2
NaClO2

Sodium chlorate(V):
1+5-2O=0
-2O=-6
O=3
NaClO3

At least with these you should have no problems now :wink:

1. What is a formula from systematic name?

A formula from systematic name is a way of representing a chemical compound using its systematic name, which is a naming system based on the chemical structure and composition of the compound.

2. How do you convert a systematic name to a formula?

To convert a systematic name to a formula, you must first identify the elements present in the compound and their corresponding symbols. Then, use the prefixes and suffixes in the systematic name to determine the number of each element present. Finally, write the elements and their respective numbers in the correct order to form the formula.

3. What are some common prefixes and suffixes used in systematic names?

Some common prefixes used in systematic names include "mono-" for one, "di-" for two, "tri-" for three, "tetra-" for four, and "penta-" for five. Common suffixes include "-ide" for a compound containing only two elements, "-ite" for a compound containing three elements with oxygen, and "-ate" for a compound containing four elements with oxygen.

4. Can a formula be determined from a common name instead of a systematic name?

Yes, a formula can be determined from a common name using a chemical reference book or online database. Common names are often used for simpler and more commonly known compounds, but systematic names are preferred for more complex compounds as they provide more information about the chemical structure and composition.

5. Is a formula from systematic name always accurate?

In most cases, a formula from systematic name is accurate and follows the rules of nomenclature. However, there may be some exceptions or discrepancies due to historical or regional differences in naming conventions. It is always best to double check the formula using a reliable source.