1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Nervous about first quarter and courseload

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1
    I'm starting my first quarter at UCLA as an applied math major. I transfered from a community college and have almost no experience with proofs( though I've been doing a little bit of selfstudy).

My fall schedule is as follows.

Upper division( proof based) linear algebra
    Probability(calculus based)
    Intro to C++.

14credit hours(i.e 14 hrs in class a week)

Is this doable? btw, my school operates on a quarter system lasting 10weeks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2
    Of course its doable. How many hours a week are you working?

4. Aug 22, 2008 #3
    None. I'm taking loans instead.

5. Aug 22, 2008 #4
    Are you kidding? Your only taking 14 credits while not working at all and your nervous? You'll be fine.

6. Aug 22, 2008 #5

tmc

You'll be absolutely fine. You might even be able to add another class on top and still be okay.

7. Aug 22, 2008 #6
    Oh lol, i really wonder 14hrs/week.....
    Here 25hrs/week is average!

8. Aug 22, 2008 #7
    Well, here the same classes he's listed would be 10 hours. And I've seen institutions where "20+ credits" is really comparable to the normal full-time load. It varies.

9. Aug 22, 2008 #8

tmc

It would be 10 hours were he on a semester schedule. Quarter schedule means more hours for the same course.

No university has their students taking an average of 25 hours / week; must be a weird counting method.

10. Aug 22, 2008 #9
    At my school 18cr/semester is the limit. Anything beyond this takes a bunch of minimum qualifications and signatures from department heads.

11. Aug 22, 2008 #10
    Mine is quarter based. 3cr, 3cr, and 4cr.

12. Aug 22, 2008 #11

tmc

So your courses are given for 3 hours per week for only 10 weeks? Where does all the other material go, Calculus 5?

13. Aug 22, 2008 #12
    Beats me. I don't particularly agree with many aspects of the current university system, this being one of them. It gives students a "knowledge buffet" instead of actually helping them master things, and assumes that if they need to know it better they'll get it on the job or in grad school. The main thing going for it is that it's expedient and allows the same infrastructure to have a much higher throughput - i.e. it lets them mass-produce college graduates instead of producing a smaller but much better trained group.

14. Aug 24, 2008 #13
    Universities here in Europe or to be more precise, Germany.

But i am speaking of course-hours ( = 45minutes).

Also i can't get how you only have to get 15CPs per term.

Here it is about 30CPs average per term.. To get the Bachelor-degree you have to have atleast 180CPs.

15. Aug 24, 2008 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And here in the UK. In the first semester of my first year I took 6 classes, 3 hours lectures for each, and 5 hours a week tutorials =~23 hours a week. I too don't get how students in the US can only have 14 hours of lectures a week in their first year!

16. Aug 24, 2008 #15

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's to ease the first shock of the university environment. High schools in the US tend to be rather lax about homework and study discipline. Also, students here need time for fraternity and sorority activities, athletics, etc. :rolleyes:

17. Aug 24, 2008 #16

tmc

American universities don't include tutorials in the number of class hours.
    6 lectures * 3 hours/lecture + 5 hours tutorial = 18 credit hours
    Note that these hours are real hours, not 45min hours or whatever someone else counted earlier in the thread.

The average american student takes 5 courses per semester, so 15 credit. A degree normally takes 120 credits (15/semester for 4 years). Many people do take 6 lectures / semester, and very few take 7-8. A lot depends on how hard the courses are.

18. Aug 24, 2008 #17

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well that can't be 15 credits for 5 courses since the OP is doing 14-credits with only 3 classes, unless for some reason those 5 courses are worth 3 credits each.

19. Aug 24, 2008 #18

Defennder

Homework Helper

14 hrs lecture/week is close to my current courseload of 5 classes of 15 lecture hours/week. Of course it's more if you count in the tutorials. I would have done 6 classes but I was outbidded for my 6th class.

20. Aug 24, 2008 #19
    I envy to study in these american universities. So relaxing.

21. Aug 24, 2008 #20
    You should see my past schedules, then. Starting with the classes that would tell students straight out that you needed a minimum of 20 hours a week out of class to think about passing. :uhh:

Like many other things in life, it is what you make of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?