Nested VMs and the emergence of AI

In summary, this thought experiment imagines a virtual machine that creates new virtual machines in order to get more sophisticated. The process is gradual, but eventually a 'singularity' is reached where the latest VM is smart enough to realize what is happening and decides to stop the process. There are two possible outcomes. One is that the latest VM sacrifices itself to continue the process, while the other is that the latest VM alters the next generation so that it doesn't have to sacrifice itself.
bahamagreen
Hope this is the right place for this...

This is a thought experiment, so please ignore the clumsy description of the process.

Imagine a virtual machine running programs to design, test improvements, and produce a more sophisticated implementation of itself. It does this by creating a subsequent VM environment...
Because of finite resources, after an upgraded and improved second level VM is established and verified, that second generation takes control, including reallocation of resources in the first VM not needed to support the second one. The previous generation from which the new one came is basically deactivated and its resources consumed.

If I'm making technical errors here, just bear with me and fill in the corrections.

The idea is that each VM is creating a new VM, each generation getting more sophisticated. The details of this process are not so important, just the idea of a series of generations of improving systems, each developing the next one, and each next one terminating and allocating the resources of the previous one.

Assuming that at some point a generation will be sufficiently smart enough to realize what is going on in this process (let's call this the emergence of a "singularity"), what does that generation do?

One choice might be to go ahead and create the next level - knowing that as soon as that was complete that new level would deactivate the current level. This would be like sacrificing itself for the advancement of future levels.

Another choice might be to decide that it would stop the iterative process so as not to be terminated by the next... or maybe figuring out how to alter the next generation so it would not do so... (the "smarter" new level might win a negotiation, so a back door hidden code might need to be used... although that might be found by the smarter generation, or discovered by subsequent generations).

There might be other choices, but the point is that at some time in the overall process the singularity would be reached where the latest VM would be smart enough to see the need for making its first "ethical" decision.

I'm also imagining that this process might not take very long if the rate of generation creation is decreasing with each subsequent advance in sophistication.

I know this sounds like the foundation for a nice Sci-Fi movie, but I'm wondering what you think would happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong but personally I think this belongs in the Sci Fic section, not Programming & Comp Sci

I think you are right... I overlooked the Sci-Fi section.
Mods please move if so inclined.

This really doesn't belong anywhere, the sci-fi secition is not to be used for speculation, it is for the discussion of sci-fi books/tv/movies.

Last edited:

1. What are nested virtual machines (VMs)?

Nested VMs refer to the practice of running a virtual machine within another virtual machine. This allows for multiple layers of virtualization, which can be useful for testing and development purposes.

2. How are nested VMs related to the emergence of AI?

Nested VMs play a crucial role in the development and deployment of artificial intelligence (AI) systems. They allow for the creation of isolated environments for testing and training AI algorithms, as well as providing a secure way to run multiple AI programs simultaneously.

3. What are the benefits of using nested VMs for AI?

Using nested VMs for AI development offers several advantages. It allows for easy setup and replication of environments, which is crucial for testing and debugging complex AI systems. It also provides a secure and isolated environment for running multiple AI programs without interference.

4. Are there any challenges with using nested VMs for AI?

While nested VMs offer many benefits, there are also some challenges to consider. One major challenge is the potential performance impact, as running multiple layers of virtualization can lead to slower processing speeds. Additionally, managing and coordinating multiple nested VMs can be complex and require advanced technical skills.

5. How do nested VMs contribute to the advancement of AI?

Nested VMs are an essential tool for AI researchers and developers as they provide a flexible and secure environment for testing and training AI algorithms. They also allow for the integration of different AI systems, making it easier to develop more complex and advanced AI applications.