Net force acting on a ping-pong ball

In summary, the ball has a weight of 0.50 N and a force of 3.41 N acting on it when it is in contact with a paddle.
bbbbb
Homework Statement
A ping-pong ball has a weight of 0.50 N. While in contact with a paddle the paddle exerts a force of 7.8 N at 29° above the horizontal.
Relevant Equations
Determine the net force acting on the ball at this instant.
w= 0.50N, Fn= 7.8N, angle= 29
Fnet= Fn*fd* costheta
= 7.8*0.50*cos(29
= 3.41
is my answer correct

Physics news on Phys.org
bbbbb said:
Homework Statement:: A ping-pong ball has a weight of 0.50 N. While in contact with a paddle the paddle exerts a force of 7.8 N at 29° above the horizontal.
Relevant Equations:: Determine the net force acting on the ball at this instant.

Fnet= Fn*fd* costheta
= 7.8*0.50*cos(29
= 3.41
is my answer correct
What's the logic behind your calculation?

bbbbb said:
Fnet= Fn*fd* costheta
= 7.8*0.50*cos(29
= 3.41
is my answer correct
3.41 cows? No, that's not even a force. How could it be correct?

what do I like the steps to get the answer to the question

bbbbb said:
Homework Statement:: A ping-pong ball has a weight of 0.50 N. While in contact with a paddle the paddle exerts a force of 7.8 N at 29° above the horizontal.
Relevant Equations:: Determine the net force acting on the ball at this instant.

Fnet= Fn*fd* costheta
= 7.8*0.50*cos(29
= 3.41
is my answer correct
I cannot think of any situation where it would make sense to multiply two forces.
Have you drawn a free body diagram? That should always be the first step.
Do you know how to add forces vectorially?

I do not know how to add forces vectorially?
Yes but I am not sure if it's correct.

bbbbb said:
I do not know how to add forces vectorially?
Yes but I am not sure if it's correct.
Is that yes you have drawn a FBD? If so, please try to post it.
You do not have any chance of solving this question if you do not know how to add forces. Have you not been taught? Any notes?
Plenty of resources on the net, just search for "how to add forces" or "how to add vectors".

We have two forces acting on the ball.
the force of gravity, there is no component is the x direction and all of the force is in the negative x direction
i will do the components of both using fcosθ for the x- component and fsinθ for the y-component

bbbbb said:
We have two forces acting on the ball.
the force of gravity, there is no component is the x direction and all of the force is in the negative x direction
i will do the components of both using fcosθ for the x- component and fsinθ for the y-component
Here's an approximate answer. We have a force of ##7.8N## and a force of ##0.5N##, which is small compared to the first. The answer should be close to ##7.8N## in a direction not much different from the direction of the larger force. The answer can't be ##3.41N## or anything like that.

For the Fnet I got 7.57N and the angle has 25.7

Likes PeroK
bbbbb said:
For the Fnet I got 7.57N and the angle has 25.7
That looks a lot better!

Thank you.

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it.

2. How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

3. How does net force affect the motion of a ping-pong ball?

The net force acting on a ping-pong ball will determine its acceleration and therefore its motion. If the net force is zero, the ball will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, the ball will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

4. What factors can affect the net force acting on a ping-pong ball?

The net force acting on a ping-pong ball can be affected by factors such as air resistance, gravity, and any external forces applied to the ball.

5. How does the net force change if the ping-pong ball is in motion?

If the ping-pong ball is in motion, the net force acting on it can change if there are any changes in the individual forces acting on it. For example, if the ball encounters air resistance, the net force will decrease and the ball's acceleration will also decrease.