Net Force & Kinetic Energy: Does More Work Occur?

In summary, the question asks which doubling of speed requires more work from a net external force. To compare the work done, the work-energy principle is used to represent the work done in each doubling as U_{0,1} and U_{1,2}. By getting them in terms of the same variables, it can be determined that the second doubling requires more work because it would require a greater force to accelerate the particle even more than it has already been.
clarkandlarry

Homework Statement

The speed of a particle doubles and then doubles again because a net external force acts on it. Does the net force do more work during the first or the second doubling? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure, but i think E = 1/2 mv(squared)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im pretty sure this has something to do with kinetic energy, but the question is asking about the net force doing work. How do I incorporate force into this?

Physics news on Phys.org
use the work/kinetic-energy theorem

were you given any values? like mass...etc but i suspect the 2nd doubling because it would require a greater force to accelerate the particle even more than it has already been.

The question asks for how much work the force does. The specifics of the force don't matter, the only thing you want to find is how much work that force does.

Let [tex]U_{0,1}[/tex] represent the work done by the force taking it from the initial speed to double the initial speed.
Let [tex]U_{1,2}[/tex] represent the work done by the force in taking the particle from double the initial speed to quadruple the initial speed.

To compare [tex]U_{0,1}[/tex] and [tex]U_{1,2}[/tex], you have to get them both in terms of the same variables. So how can you do this?

I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I think it has something to do with E = 1/2 mv(squared), but that deals with energy and not work. Is this the equation that I should be using when getting U0,1 and U1,2 in terms of the same variables?

1. What is Net Force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on an object.

2. What is Kinetic Energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by taking half of the object's mass and multiplying it by the square of its velocity.

3. How are Net Force and Kinetic Energy related?

Net force and kinetic energy are related through the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that if the net force acting on an object increases, its kinetic energy will also increase.

4. Does more work occur when there is a larger net force?

Yes, according to the work-energy theorem, when the net force acting on an object increases, more work is done on the object, resulting in an increase in its kinetic energy.

5. Does more work occur when there is a higher kinetic energy?

No, the amount of work done on an object is independent of its kinetic energy. However, an object with a higher kinetic energy will require more work to be done on it in order to change its velocity or bring it to a stop.