Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

.Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 unable to load

1. Jan 1, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    A few days ago, my Windows 10 went through a long auto update and now when I run Windows Live mail, I cannot send an e-mail and I receive a message:

An app on your PC needs the following Windows feature:
    .Net Framework 3.5

and then it instructs me to load it. But when I attempt to load it, the progress bar stalls mid-way and after about 10 minutes, I receive the message:

The Following feature couldn't be installed:
    .Net Framework 3.5
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O error.
    Error code:
    0x8007045D

So I was wondering if someone here was familiar with the problem and could help me.

Thanks for reading,
    Jack

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is your computer connected via WiFi? I have found that almost always if I try to do the periodic Windows updates via my WiFi connection, the download fails, so I break out my ethernet cable and connect directly to my router. (I will be installing a hard-wire connection between the computer and router real soon now...)

The other thing that comes to mind is that .Net Framework 3.5 is fairly old, but is OK with Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, and Win 10, unless you're running Visual Studio later than VS 2008.

Some info -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

4. Jan 1, 2016 #3
    Thanks Mark. No. I have an Ethernet link. The only problem I'm encountering is with my e-mail. Windows Live Mail is not allowing me to send e-mails. When I attempt to send an e-mail, I get "a problem occurred while trying to open this message."

5. Jan 1, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are quite a few pages on the internet about your particular error code. Possibly one of them will be helpful.

6. Jan 3, 2016 #5
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows Mail application on your system. Steps with screenshots in the link below.
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-the-mail-app-in-windows-10/

While you're at it, also reinstall the .net framework, the 2nd post has the steps you need to follow to install dotnet 3.5 on windows 10
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0/450b3ba6-4d19-45ae-840e-78519f36d7a4?auth=1

Uninstall Windows mail, then uninstall .net3.5, then reboot. Then reinstall dotnet 3.5, then reinstall windows mail and then try again.

P.S. Uninstalling windows mail will probably delete all your email. If you have email you cannot afford to lose, then google "backup windows mail 10" and see what comes up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook