.Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 unable to load

In summary, windows 10 updated to a newer version of the .net framework and now when I try to send an email, I receive the error code 0x8007045D. Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows mail and .net 3.5 haven't solved the problem.
jackmell
Hi,
A few days ago, my Windows 10 went through a long auto update and now when I run Windows Live mail, I cannot send an e-mail and I receive a message:

An app on your PC needs the following Windows feature:
.Net Framework 3.5

and then it instructs me to load it. But when I attempt to load it, the progress bar stalls mid-way and after about 10 minutes, I receive the message:

The Following feature couldn't be installed:
.Net Framework 3.5
The request could not be performed because of an I/O error.
Error code:
0x8007045D

So I was wondering if someone here was familiar with the problem and could help me.

Thanks for reading,
Jack

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
jackmell said:
Hi,
A few days ago, my Windows 10 went through a long auto update and now when I run Windows Live mail, I cannot send an e-mail and I receive a message:

An app on your PC needs the following Windows feature:
.Net Framework 3.5

and then it instructs me to load it. But when I attempt to load it, the progress bar stalls mid-way and after about 10 minutes, I receive the message:

The Following feature couldn't be installed:
.Net Framework 3.5
The request could not be performed because of an I/O error.
Error code:
0x8007045D

So I was wondering if someone here was familiar with the problem and could help me.

Thanks for reading,
Jack
Is your computer connected via WiFi? I have found that almost always if I try to do the periodic Windows updates via my WiFi connection, the download fails, so I break out my ethernet cable and connect directly to my router. (I will be installing a hard-wire connection between the computer and router real soon now...)

The other thing that comes to mind is that .Net Framework 3.5 is fairly old, but is OK with Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, and Win 10, unless you're running Visual Studio later than VS 2008.

Some info -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

Mark44 said:
Is your computer connected via WiFi? I have found that almost always if I try to do the periodic Windows updates via my WiFi connection, the download fails, so I break out my ethernet cable and connect directly to my router. (I will be installing a hard-wire connection between the computer and router real soon now...)

The other thing that comes to mind is that .Net Framework 3.5 is fairly old, but is OK with Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, and Win 10, unless you're running Visual Studio later than VS 2008.

Some info -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

Thanks Mark. No. I have an Ethernet link. The only problem I'm encountering is with my e-mail. Windows Live Mail is not allowing me to send e-mails. When I attempt to send an e-mail, I get "a problem occurred while trying to open this message."

There are quite a few pages on the internet about your particular error code. Possibly one of them will be helpful.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows Mail application on your system. Steps with screenshots in the link below.
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-the-mail-app-in-windows-10/

While you're at it, also reinstall the .net framework, the 2nd post has the steps you need to follow to install dotnet 3.5 on windows 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0/450b3ba6-4d19-45ae-840e-78519f36d7a4?auth=1

Uninstall Windows mail, then uninstall .net3.5, then reboot. Then reinstall dotnet 3.5, then reinstall windows mail and then try again.

P.S. Uninstalling windows mail will probably delete all your email. If you have email you cannot afford to lose, then google "backup windows mail 10" and see what comes up.

What is .Net Framework 3.5 and why is it important?

.Net Framework 3.5 is a software framework developed by Microsoft that enables developers to create applications for Windows operating system. It provides a large library of pre-coded solutions to common programming problems and helps developers to write efficient and reliable code. It is important because many applications and programs rely on .Net Framework 3.5 to run properly on Windows.

Why am I unable to load .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possible reason is that .Net Framework 3.5 is not enabled in your Windows 10 settings. You can enable it by going to the Control Panel and selecting "Turn Windows features on or off" under Programs and Features. Another reason could be that your Windows 10 installation is corrupted or missing important system files. In this case, you may need to repair or reinstall your Windows 10 operating system.

Can I install .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 if I already have a newer version?

Yes, you can install .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 even if you have a newer version, such as .Net Framework 4.5 or higher. .Net Framework 3.5 is a backward compatible framework, meaning it can run applications built with newer versions of .Net Framework. However, it is recommended to keep all versions of .Net Framework up to date to ensure compatibility with all applications.

Is .Net Framework 3.5 supported on all versions of Windows 10?

No, .Net Framework 3.5 is only supported on Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions. It is not supported on Windows 10 Home edition. Additionally, it is not supported on Windows 10 in S mode.

Can I uninstall .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10?

Yes, you can uninstall .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 by going to the Control Panel and selecting "Turn Windows features on or off" under Programs and Features. However, keep in mind that this may cause compatibility issues with applications that rely on .Net Framework 3.5. It is recommended to only uninstall it if necessary and to keep it enabled for optimal performance of your applications.