Net Ionic Equation for the Reaction of Al(OH)3 and HCl

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRC12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ionic Net
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 37K views
DRC12
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
What is the net ionic equation of Al(OH)3(s)+3HCl(aq)=AlCl3(aq)+3H20

The answer a got was
Cl is the only spectator ion
Al3+ +3OH3- +3H3+ = Al3+ +3H2O
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I was given Al(OH)3(s)+HCl(aq)
then solved and balanced the equation as Al(OH)3(s)+3HCl(aq)=AlCl3(aq)+3H2O(l)
and I know that's correct I just can't figure out the net ionic equation and I'm not entirely sure what the spectator ions are but I'm pretty positive the only ones Cl
 
You are right about spectators, but you are wrong about Al(OH)3 being dissociated. It is given as Al(OH)3(s) for a reason.
 
So now i have it as Al(OH)3(s)+3H3+(aq)=3H2O(l)+Al3-(aq)

thats still not right but is that what you meant by being given Al(OH)3(s)?
 
Equation is so off my eyes hurt from looking, but you are on the right track now. Just half of the substances you listed don't exist.