1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neumann's problem, electrostatics, proof

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the Neumann's problem ##\begin{cases} \triangle \Phi =-4\pi \rho \\ \frac{\partial \Phi }{\partial n}=g \end{cases}##, what condition must g satisfy?

2. Relevant equations
    I'm given the answer, it's ##\int _ \Omega \rho dV=-\int _{\partial \Omega } g dS##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to demonstrate that the given answer is indeed true.
    So let Omega be the region of interest (in ##\mathbb{R} ^3##, mathematically) and ##\partial \Omega## be its contour.
    Now ##\int _\Omega \rho dV=Q##, the total charge enclosed in Omega. So I'm left to show that ##\int _{\partial \Omega } g dS## is worth minus the total charge enclosed in Omega. To me it just looks like the Gauss theorem. If ##g=\frac{\partial \Phi }{\partial n }=|\vec E _{\text{normal to the surface}}|##, then I must show that ##\int _{\partial \Omega } g dS=-Q##.
    So I replace g by its value, it gives me ##\int _{\partial \Omega } |\vec E _{\text{normal}}| dS=-Q##.
    If I use Gauss theorem, I get that ##\int _\Omega \rho dV= \int _{\partial \Omega } \vec E \cdot \hat n dS##. (where I used one of Maxwell's equation, ##\nabla \cdot \vec E= \rho##, I omitted a constant)
    So in order to get what I should, ##|\vec E _{\text{normal }}|## must equal ##\vec E \cdot \hat n##. If the normal points inward Omega then I get what I should. However if the normal points outward Omega (as it generally does), then I get that ##\int _{\partial \Omega } gdS=Q## which has a wrong sign.

Do you see any mistake/error(s) in what I've done?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe your missing negative sign comes from neglecting the negative sign in ##\vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla}\Phi##. Thus, ##\partial{\Phi}/\partial{n} = -E_n##.

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I see, thank you very much TSny!

5. Mar 2, 2013 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

I realize that the problem was either "what does g must satisfy for the solution to exist?" or "what does g must satisfy for the solution to be unique?".
    And the answer given is ##\int _ \Omega \rho dV=-\int _{\partial \Omega } g dS## that I showed to be true, but I don't see why this imply that it guaranties that Phi (the potential) either exist (and satisfies Neumann's problem) or is unique (and satisfies Neumann's problem).
    Edit: I'm guessing it has to do with if g does not satisfy the relation given as answer, then Phi does not satisfies Poisson's equation.
    In this case the original question was probably "what does g must satisfy for the solution to exist?", though I'm not 100% sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted