Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutral and charged exitons (trions)

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    How can we distinguish between neutral and charged exitons?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A neutral exiton is formed from an electron and a hole, so it must have integer spin. A charged exiton would be formed from an odd number of electrons and holes, so it would have half-integer spin and corresponding magnetic moment. So the energy levels for spin up vs spin down would be split in an external magnetic field.

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    Thank you for clarification. Another question - how can we distinguish between positively and negatively charged exitons?

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not too familiar with the details in this area, but I did a quick search through some articles. Identification of the charged exiton as ##X^\pm## seems to correlate entirely with whether the material is p or n-type, which you might expect since formation of, say, ##X^-## would require a large density of electrons. I don't believe the state of the art exists to allow for direct measurement of the charge, such as by studying transport properties in an applied electric field. I found http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.0072 to be quite interesting in that they used a gate voltage to change their material from p-type to n-type and could control the formation of ##X^+## or ##X^-##. You might be able to learn more by consulting some of the classic papers in the field that are cited in that paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook