Neutrinos traveling faster than C?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Northern
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Neutrinos
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Northern
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hello.
I just read this http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/have-cern-scientists-managed-to-exceed-the-speed-of-light-1.386126" which says that scientists in CERN recorded neutrino particles traveling faster than the speed of light.
Now, I know how "scientifically literate" the media is (God particle comes to mind) and so I'd like clarification from actual real physicists or just people who know their physics.

Is this really so? Does it mean that the speed of light is not the universal speed limit should this experiment be confirmed?

Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Northern said:
"scientifically literate" the media is
Ha I forgot about this. I saw the article and got all excited then remembered that. We'll have to see but I think the quotes from the article support the title.

edit: here's another article from bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
any idea if there is already a paper or a preprint? (just wondering)