1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron collision in quantum mechanics

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Good morning or afternoon. My quantum physics teacher has given me a task: Given a neutron beam of mass 1.27*10^-27 kg and known energy E impacts on a lineal chain of atoms with a known distance between two of them l. A detector intercepts the wave diffracted an angle o.

I have to a) describe qualitatively what happens at the detector as a function of the energy and b) for E=E1, find l as a function of E1 and o. Then find it for the numerical values o= 30 degrees and E1= 1.3*10^-20 J.

I have a drawing, but I don’t know how to post it.
    2. Relevant equations

E=(mN^2*C^4+PN^2*C^2)^(1/2)
    P= h/wavelength
    E= h*frequency
    3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I can think of is to think that the neutrons are waves instead of particles, these waves reflex on the chain of atoms and keep moving with a certain angle. The energy of the neutron is E=(mN^2*C^4+PN^2*C^2)^(1/2) and P= h/wavelength. So that, E= (mN^2*C^4+(h/wavelength)^2)^(1/2), then I find the wavelength and say that is smaller than a atomic radius, so that’s why the collision happens.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 25, 2014 #3
    Don't worry, I have already solved it, sorry for the awful choice of words, but I am translating the problem, so I can't find the propper way to show the proper formulation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted