1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron decay - is my answer unrealistic?

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    here's the problem:

"a neutron at rest decays into a proton with a decay energy of 0.78MeV. What is the maximum kinetic energy of the proton left behind?"

here's what I've tried:

In this decay, I assumed that although it's not mentioned, there would be something negatively charged produced to conserve charge. I went with beta decay, so that an electron and an antineutrino would be produced. I assumed that the neutrino was massless and ignored it (my lecturer said it could be ignored).

In the neutron's rest-frame, i said that the proton and electron would have equal and opposite momenta pp and pe respectively, ie.

[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{p_e} = -\stackrel{\rightarrow}{p_p}[/tex]

[tex]p_e = p_p = p[/tex] (magnitudes are equal.)

Also, for conservation of energy, i said that neutron energy En = Ep + Ee = (mp2 + p2)1/2 + (me2 + p2)1/2 = mn since the neutron has no momentum.

(Here I have used the expression E2 = p2c2 + m2c4 in c=1 units).

mn - (mp2 + p2)1/2 = (me2 + p2)1/2

(mn - (mp2 + p2)1/2)2 = me2 + p2

mn2 - 2mn(mp2 + p2)1/2 + mp2 + p2 = me2 + p2

mn2 + mp2 - me2 = 2mn(mp2 + p2)1/2

[tex] p = \sqrt{(\frac{m_n^2 + m_p^2 - m_e^2}{2m_n})^2 - m_p^2 } [/tex]

Using wikipedia's data:
    mp = 938.272 MeV/c^2
    mn = 939.566 MeV/c^2
    me = 0.510 MeV/c^2

I get p = 1.188 MeV/c

Again, using E2 = p2c2 + m2c4 I get the proton energy Ep = 938.2727521 MeV and when I subtract the rest energy from this to get the kinetic energy, I am left with 7.52x10-4 MeV.

When I do the same for the electron, I find that Ee is just less than 0.78 MeV.

Is this a reasonable answer? It seems weird to me that the electron should take the vast majority of the energy, especially when I am looking for the maximum PROTON energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's not weird. The electrons rest mass = ~1/1836 of the proton rest mass, so it receives most of the kinetic energy, while the proton has a lot of 'rest' energy. In the problem, 0.78 MeV means the electron is relativistic.

In reality, the neutrino can take a lot of energy/momentum as well, and in beta decay, there is a continuous spectrum of energy with the most probably energy of the beta being ~ 1/3 of the maximum allowable energy.
  4. Dec 30, 2009 #3

I would like to know more about the beta decay. Could you give me a good reference book to start with? I would like to calculate the electron energy spectrum resulting from a neutron decaying into a proton, electron and anti-electron neutrino. Any idea where to start? Thanks!
  5. Dec 30, 2009 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Data for each beta-emitter has been tabulated.

Here is some general information - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/nuclear/beta2.html

Decay of a neutron

Some notes
    http://www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk/hepwww/staff/D.Ross/phys3002/beta.pdf [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Dec 30, 2009 #5
    Thanks! Do you happen to know where I could find the tabulated energy spectrum for decay electrons in the rest frame of the parent neutron?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook