Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron star and white dwarf material

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neutron stars are held together by extremely strong gravitational force. What would happen to a chunk of the star if it had been removed and left to stand alone?

Same question for a chunk of a white dwarf?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Either would be unstable once removed from the gravitational well. 'Boom' is probably the word I'm looking for.

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:rofl:

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The outer crust of a Neutron star is thought to be composed of mostly ions and electrons, not neutrons. I expect that the matter would no longer be degenerate and would quickly form normal atoms again. Since atoms release energy when electrons bind with nuclei, I would expect a very large chemical explosion. Same thing for a white dwarf.

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The crust of a neutron star is probably iron, as I recall. And I believe the result would be more on the order of a nuclear explosion - just my guess. I would hate to have the job of mining material from either object. The scoop design would be problematic and the workmans comp insurance premiums - priceless.

7. Dec 15, 2011 #6

Drakkith

Why do you think there would be a nuclear explosion from the removal of surface material?

8. Dec 15, 2011 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chemical processes do not occur at these energy levels.

9. Dec 15, 2011 #8

Drakkith

If the nuclei are stable then what kind of nuclear processes are we talking about here?

10. Dec 15, 2011 #9

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To rephrase my question slightly. Assume we could get material from deep in the interior of the neutron star or white dwarf. What happens?

11. Dec 15, 2011 #10

Drakkith

Without being educated in this area I can only guess, but I'd say probably some kind of explosion. I know in a white dwarf that many of the electrons have high kinetic energy. From wikipedia:

I assume that the removal of pressure from the material would result in a great release of energy as the matter violently expands and high energy electrons run into other particles.

As for neutron stars I would expect something similar in addition to neutron decay once the extreme pressure is removed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook