New Casio fx-83ES, can't do 10^x

• Calculators
  • Thread starter paperclip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Casio
In summary, the conversation discusses how to perform the calculation 1+10^3.9, with the individual seeking help due to receiving a syntax error. They are advised to check the manual for instructions on how to perform exponents on their calculator, and eventually discover that they were using the wrong key combination. The individual expresses satisfaction with the solution and thanks the person for their help.
paperclip
If I try to do 1+ 10^3.9, for example, I just get 'syntax error'. Argh!

Help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you are getting a syntax error, more than likely you are entering the commands to perform 1+10^3.9 incorrectly.

Tell us exactly which keystrokes you are pressing one at a time.

Edit: Or you can try to figure out what you are doing wrong in the manual. Glancing at it, it looks like pages E-13 and E-14 explain how to perform exponents on your calculator.

http://www.instructionsmanuals.com/u2/pdf/calculadoras/Casio-FX83ES-en.pdf

I figured out what I was doing wrong- in my old calculator, I could just press, for example [10^x][5], but on this new calculator, you need to press [shift][log].

Still not sure what the difference is, but it does what I need it to do, so I'm happy now. Thanks for your help :)

1. Why is my new Casio fx-83ES calculator not able to perform 10^x calculations?

It is important to note that the Casio fx-83ES calculator has a limited number of functions and may not have the capability to perform certain types of calculations, such as 10^x. This is a common limitation among calculators and does not indicate a malfunction or defect in the calculator.

2. Is there a way to work around this limitation and still perform 10^x calculations on the Casio fx-83ES?

Unfortunately, there is no way to override this limitation on the Casio fx-83ES calculator. However, there are other ways to perform 10^x calculations, such as using a different calculator or utilizing a computer or phone calculator.

3. Can I upgrade my Casio fx-83ES to have the capability to perform 10^x calculations?

No, the Casio fx-83ES cannot be upgraded to have additional capabilities. It is important to research and purchase a calculator with the desired functions and capabilities before making a purchase.

4. Are there other limitations or functions that I should be aware of on the Casio fx-83ES calculator?

Yes, the Casio fx-83ES has a limited number of functions and may not be able to perform certain calculations, such as trigonometric and logarithmic functions. It is important to consult the calculator's manual or do research before using it for complex calculations.

5. Is the Casio fx-83ES a good calculator for scientific or advanced mathematical calculations?

The Casio fx-83ES is a basic scientific calculator and may not be suitable for more advanced mathematical calculations. It is important to carefully consider the functions and capabilities of a calculator before choosing it for scientific or mathematical purposes.