Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New computer won't install windows

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    Hi, I just finished building a new desktop PC with an AMD phenom 2 core processor, msi 785gtm-e45 motherboard and a bunch of other parts whose packaging I threw away. I put my windows 7 USB drive in, and started to install, but half way through, the computer reset like it was supposed to, and when it started up again it didnt complete the installation process, it just showed me the install now page that I started at. Does anyone know what's wrong? Ty!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

After the restart, take out the win7 usb, it may have priority over the hard drive in terms of booting priority.

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    Ty, after I posted I immediately had the idea that it was still trying to boot from the USB stick, so I took it out and started to customize my desktop. Thanks anyway for the quick reply.

5. Aug 16, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm a genius!

How exactly did you get win7 installing off a USB? I'd like to know.

6. Aug 16, 2011 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Use this to create a boot drive from a Win 7 .iso: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Then acquire an .iso of Win 7. If you have access to a Linux computer, insert a Win 7 install disk and run "dd if=/dev/dvd of=dvd.iso" and this will dump the DVD files into an .iso. Otherwise, there are freeware .iso recording tools available for Windows. You can then use the Win 7 tool on a Windows computer to make a bootable USB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook