New Electrical Engineering Student Seeks Guidance on Writing Research Paper

In summary, an electrical engineering student wants to write a research or review paper this year before completing their degree. They are looking for topics and advice on what to do after graduating.
Manoj Sahu
Hi. I am an electrical engineering student in my final year. I want to write a research or review paper this year before completing my degree. I haven't written any paper before. I don't know where to start. Will someone please guide me? In addition to that I haven't selected any topics so I would like to know few trending topics in electrical engineering in recent. I am good in following areas:-
Power generation , switchgear and protection, Power system.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any idea what you will do after you graduate? A paper in the field you are looking to work in will also be effective when looking for a job. Otherwise this is a pretty open ended question - too many options.

I want to work in Power plant or Power system after the completion of graduation. You have mentioned that there are too many options. Just for the sake of reading can you name few, please?

Well I am in the power conversion business - a good topic would be the impact both near and long term of the development of Silicon Carbide (SiC) in high power conversion. It is truly a disruptive technology - but will always be more expensive than traditional Si - and it has some serious technical challenges and drawbacks.

In power plants - the impact of a less table grid due to renewables and added load from plug in vehicles - and how large scale power generation is dealing with both of these disruptions.

T
Windadct said:
Do you have any idea what you will do after you graduate? A paper in the field you are looking to work in will also be effective when looking for a job. Otherwise this is a pretty open ended question - too many options.
Thanks

Optical satellite communications.

It's a pretty old idea these days, but applications are still mainly regulated to sat to sat communications. Earth to space based links have a slew of advantages, i.e. smaller beamwidth would allow for greater utilization of geo orbits, and probably even more disadvantages currently, i.e. atmospheric scintillation. I feel like this topic would be good for a student because there is ton's of literature out there and on going research. After doing a lit review you should be able to find some specific related topic to write a paper on that could advance the field and get published - probably still some low hanging fruit out there.

Of course, this is entirely conjecture and not related to your posted "skill set" (not sure how much RF/communication theory you've been exposed to), but it's what comes to mind.

Also, do you know how to properly format a paper? Do you know how to use ##\LaTeX##? Have you spoken to any of your professors of your interest? That's probably the best place to go for something like this.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of a research paper in electrical engineering?

The purpose of a research paper in electrical engineering is to present new ideas, theories, or findings related to the field. It also allows students to demonstrate their understanding of the subject matter and their ability to conduct thorough research and analysis.

What are the key components of a research paper in electrical engineering?

A research paper in electrical engineering typically includes an abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It may also include figures, tables, and references.

How should I choose a topic for my research paper in electrical engineering?

When choosing a topic for your research paper, it is important to consider your interests, current trends in the field, and potential impact of your research. You can also consult with your professors or colleagues for ideas and suggestions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a research paper in electrical engineering?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a research paper in electrical engineering include not conducting thorough research, not properly citing sources, and not following the required formatting and structure. It is also important to avoid plagiarism and to proofread your paper for errors before submission.

How can I ensure the quality of my research paper in electrical engineering?

To ensure the quality of your research paper, you should carefully plan and organize your research, use reliable and up-to-date sources, and critically analyze your findings. It is also helpful to seek feedback from your peers and professors throughout the writing process.