New Grad with B.A. in Physics - where to look for lab work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of finding work in the field of physics with only a bachelor's degree. The speaker suggests seeking advice from university faculty and mentions the difficulty of finding jobs in physics compared to other fields such as engineering. The conversation also mentions the speaker's personal experience with unemployment and suggests that pursuing graduate school may be necessary for a successful career in physics.
thealyosha
I am a new grad with a very theoretically based B.A. in physics from a liberal arts college. I am devoted to physics entirely, but I couldn't bring myself to make the commitment to graduate school so soon.

I'd like to try to find work in a physics field, but I don't know where to look. My coursework looks like:

General Physics I & II
Classical Mechanics I & II
Quantum Mechanics I
Electrodynamics I & II
Thermal Physics
Topics of Astrophysical Interest
Thesis I & II
Calculus
Linear Algebra
Introduction to Analysis
Multivariable Calculus I & II

Any advice on where to find jobs? Aside from physics today...

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably start with the faculty at your university. You know them pretty well after all.

You probably won't find any work in physics with just a bachelor's degree. Even lab work will be hard to come by. Why hire you when they can hire a grad student?

The closest you can get is most likely some engineering or programming, but even that will be hard to come by. I've been unemployed for 8 months now. It's slim pickin's for physics majors because there are so many engineering majors out there that there is no reason to look to us for work.

I worked in a restaurant after getting my B.S. in physics. The hours got too low and I couldn't land a job elsewhere, not even at a gas station. Now I am doing day labor by advertising on craigslist.

IMO, you need to go to grad school to get any kind of a career out of physics.

Congratulations on your degree in physics! It's great to see your passion and dedication to the field. I understand the importance of practical experience in addition to theoretical knowledge. Here are a few suggestions for finding lab work with your background:

1. Look for internships or entry-level positions at research institutions or laboratories. Many universities and research centers offer these opportunities to recent graduates. These positions can provide valuable hands-on experience and help you build your network in the scientific community.

2. Networking is key. Attend conferences, workshops, and seminars related to your field of interest. This is a great way to meet professionals and learn about potential job opportunities. You can also reach out to your professors, classmates, and alumni network for advice and connections.

3. Consider applying for positions in industries that require a strong background in physics, such as aerospace, telecommunications, or energy. These industries often have research and development departments that may be looking for candidates with your skills and knowledge.

4. Don't limit yourself to traditional job search websites. Many companies and organizations post job openings on their own websites or through professional organizations. Keep an eye out for these opportunities and apply directly to the source.

5. Utilize online resources such as LinkedIn and professional networking groups to connect with professionals in your field and learn about job opportunities.

Overall, my advice is to be proactive and persistent in your job search. Keep an open mind and be willing to explore different industries and types of positions. With your strong academic background and passion for physics, I have no doubt that you will find a fulfilling career in your field. Best of luck!

1. How do I find a lab job as a new graduate with a B.A. in Physics?

There are a few ways to find lab work as a new graduate in physics. One option is to search for job postings on online job boards or career websites. You can also network with professionals in your field and inquire about job opportunities. Another option is to reach out to university or government research labs directly and inquire about open positions.

2. What types of labs should I target as a new graduate with a B.A. in Physics?

As a new graduate, you may want to target labs that align with your interests and career goals. These could include research labs at universities, government labs, or private companies in industries such as healthcare, engineering, or energy. It's also important to consider labs that offer opportunities for growth and development in your field.

3. How can I make my application stand out when applying for lab work?

To make your application stand out, highlight any relevant coursework, research experience, or lab skills you have gained during your degree program. You can also showcase any other relevant experience or skills, such as computer programming or data analysis. Additionally, tailor your application materials, such as your resume and cover letter, to the specific lab and job you are applying for.

4. What skills and qualifications are labs looking for in new graduates with a B.A. in Physics?

Labs typically look for new graduates with a strong foundation in physics principles and techniques, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They may also seek candidates with experience in data analysis, computer programming, and laboratory techniques. Many labs also value strong communication and teamwork skills, as well as a passion for research and innovation.

5. What are some potential career paths for a new graduate with a B.A. in Physics?

A B.A. in Physics can open up a variety of career paths in fields such as research, engineering, healthcare, and education. Some potential job titles for new graduates include research assistant, laboratory technician, data analyst, or science teacher. With further education and experience, you may also pursue careers in fields such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, or medical physics.