1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics New Grad with B.A. in Physics - where to look for lab work?

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    I am a new grad with a very theoretically based B.A. in physics from a liberal arts college. I am devoted to physics entirely, but I couldn't bring myself to make the commitment to graduate school so soon.

I'd like to try to find work in a physics field, but I don't know where to look. My coursework looks like:

General Physics I & II
    Classical Mechanics I & II
    Quantum Mechanics I
    Electrodynamics I & II
    Thermal Physics
    Topics of Astrophysical Interest
    Thesis I & II
    Calculus
    Linear Algebra
    Introduction to Analysis
    Multivariable Calculus I & II

Any advice on where to find jobs? Aside from physics today....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2012 #2

fss

You should probably start with the faculty at your university. You know them pretty well after all.

4. Aug 18, 2012 #3
    You probably won't find any work in physics with just a bachelor's degree. Even lab work will be hard to come by. Why hire you when they can hire a grad student?

The closest you can get is most likely some engineering or programming, but even that will be hard to come by. I've been unemployed for 8 months now. It's slim pickin's for physics majors because there are so many engineering majors out there that there is no reason to look to us for work.

5. Aug 18, 2012 #4
    I worked in a restaurant after getting my B.S. in physics. The hours got too low and I couldnt land a job elsewhere, not even at a gas station. Now I am doing day labor by advertising on craigslist.

IMO, you need to go to grad school to get any kind of a career out of physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook