New limit on lorentz invariance violation

I am struggling with some of the more technical terms in it. For example, what is the MQGn? Its called the quantum gravity mass. All i could find on it is that it is a parameter used to scale dispersion. I am also struggling to understand exactly what is the result of the experiment. Its says it places a new lower limit on linear energy dependence at 1.2EPlanck, so does that mean that it was higher or lower before? Can they only test LIV time delays down to 1.2EPlanck?In summary, the conversation discusses an article about a limit on the variation of the speed of light due to quantum gravity effects. The article is titled "A limit on the variation of
connor415
Seasons greetings all,

I am trying to dissect a really interesting article:

http://www.nature.com.libproxy.ucl.ac.uk/nature/journal/v462/n7271/full/nature08574.html

but I am struggling with some of the more technical terms in it. I have shown it to some lecturers at my uni and even they are confused.

For example, what is the MQGn?

Its called the quantum gravity mass.

All i could find on it is that it is a parameter used to scale dispersion.

I am also struggling to understand exactly what is the result of the experiment. Its says it places a new lower limit on linear energy dependence at 1.2EPlanck, so does that mean that it was higher or lower before? Can they only test LIV time delays down to 1.2EPlanck?

Arggghhhhh :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh right thanks!

1. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. What is the new limit on Lorentz invariance violation?

The new limit on Lorentz invariance violation was set by the OPERA experiment in 2012, which found that the speed of neutrinos is consistent with the speed of light to within a precision of 0.000000000000001%.

3. Why is it important to test for Lorentz invariance violation?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in our understanding of the universe, and any violation of it could potentially lead to a significant shift in our understanding of physics. Testing for Lorentz invariance violation helps to ensure the accuracy and consistency of our theories.

4. How do scientists test for Lorentz invariance violation?

Scientists test for Lorentz invariance violation through a variety of experiments, such as measuring the speed of particles and comparing it to the speed of light, or studying the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions. These experiments often involve highly precise measurements and advanced technologies.

5. What are the implications of a confirmed Lorentz invariance violation?

If a confirmed Lorentz invariance violation is found, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and could potentially lead to the development of new theories. It could also have implications for other fundamental principles, such as the speed of light being the maximum speed in the universe.