New Quizz People

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor
recon said:
To add shame to your lack of knowledge in this field, you are wrong about Mary Poppins being a show. It was a movie! :tongue2:
In the US "show" is another word for "movie", at least for us elderly folks. "Let's go to the show", meaning "let's go to the movie". In olden times movies were also called "picture shows". I remember my grandmother talking about going to the picture show.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
#12 is definitely my mom. :rofl:

#9 I know the quote but didn't know what movie it came from...one of those Vietnam War movies. I'll just have to assume Ivan got it right, though I don't think I've seen Apocalypse Now
Apocalypse Now is a Vietnam War movie, and if you haven't seen it, see it right now, or else...

My dad always insisted I get things done "P.D.Q, chop-chop". I know that the PDQ stood for 'pretty damn quick' but I don't know where he assimilated this phrase from. Anyone seen a movie or read a book with "PDQ, chop-chop" recurring in it ?

Tsu
Gold Member
"Chop chop" was an expression used by Charlie Chan

Evo
Mentor
Gokul43201 said:
Apocalypse Now is a Vietnam War movie, and if you haven't seen it, see it right now, or else...

My dad always insisted I get things done "P.D.Q, chop-chop". I know that the PDQ stood for 'pretty damn quick' but I don't know where he assimilated this phrase from. Anyone seen a movie or read a book with "PDQ, chop-chop" recurring in it ?
Here in the US there was an old tv show where there was a chinese/japanese sidekick that always said "chop chop", meaning quick. I'm too tired to remember who it was. It might have been a cartoon, or there was a cartoon that made fun of the real life character, because I seem to remember both.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I believe you and tsu are talking about the same show. Anything about a 'PDQ' in it ?

Edit : On second thought, I don't want to derail this thread...there's still unanswered questions. I'm going after #7 if no one wants it by tomorrow.

Evo
Mentor
Tsu said:
"Chop chop" was an expression used by Charlie Chan
I was thinking Charlie Chan, but I wasn't sure, and there was a cartoon parody of Chan. That's it!!

Oh - so that's why you call the movie business 'show business'. I understand now. :approve:

When you talk about 'Charlie Chan', are you actually referring to Jackie Chan? :uhh:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
recon said:
To add shame to your lack of knowledge in this field, you are wrong about Mary Poppins being a show. It was a movie! :tongue2:
I meant the show cited by Marlon. :tongue:

I know Mary Poppins was a movie. It was about a nun that took a job watching some guy's kids in the Alps somewhere.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
recon said:
When you talk about 'Charlie Chan', are you actually referring to Jackie Chan? :uhh:
Ask your grandparents. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I meant the show cited by Marlon. :tongue:

I know Mary Poppins was a movie. It was about a nun that took a job watching some guy's kids in the Alps somewhere.
I may have been wrong the first time. However, I'm sure that I'm not wrong in saying that you're wrong this time, although you're right about the actress in both movies. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
recon said:
although you're right about the actress in both movies. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Judy Garland, right?

Great work guys, nearly all questions are solved correctly. Here is an update for now :

1) Enrico Caruso
3) Albert Einstein
4) Friedrich Nietzsche
6) JFK
8) Aristotle
9) Robert Duvall
10) Michael Jackson
12) Jack Frost (indeed Maryy Poppins says spit spot. "Just a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down, medicine go down, medicine go down. In the most delightful way")

Only 2, 5, 7 and 11 remain unsolved

marlon, thanks you all for participating...I am preparing a new quizz...

regards a tutti

Tsu
Gold Member
Well, #11 HAS to be marlon... :rofl:

Tsu said:
Well, #11 HAS to be marlon... :rofl:

Right on it ...Correctamundo... :cool: :rofl: :rofl:

mille grazie

marlonissimo

Tsu
Gold Member
And #5 is french philosopher Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Tsu said:
And #5 is french philosopher Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Again correct

marlon

Tsu
Gold Member
Oh, and #7 is Charles de Gaulle. :biggrin:

Tsu said:
Oh, and #7 is Charles de Gaulle. :biggrin:

EErr, :surprised again correct. Are the questions too easy ??? :biggrin:

marlon

Only Question Two Remains To Be Solved

I'll put the solution into my journal. Also the solutions to the previous quizz are there. The new quizz is coming...
https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&journalid=13790&action=view [Broken]
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Tsu
Gold Member
I'll let someone else figure out #2. :biggrin:

plover
Homework Helper
I'm just guessing here, but I'll say Galen for #2.

Galenus is correct Plover...all questions are solved now...if you wanna reread the questions (with answers) of this and the previous quizz, check out my journal

regards
marlon and thanks for participating

i thought clemenceau said #7????

kaos said:
i thought clemenceau said #7????
No, it was Charles DeGaulle

marlon