New Superhero concept for comic

• Thread starter Subject39
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, a group of individuals are discussing the plausibility of a new superhero that can harness the Earth's rotational energy to enhance their physical abilities. The idea involves a lab explosion, an asteroid with a special ore, and a fusion between the ore and the astronaut's body. The group debates the scientific accuracy and potential power levels of this superhero, but ultimately agree that it could work in a comic book sense. They also discuss limitations and potential plot ideas, such as an exoskeleton suit made of the same ore. Overall, the group concludes that while it may not be scientifically plausible, it fits within the realm of superhero comics and allows for creative storytelling.
Subject39
Hello everyone!
I am by no means a Physicist, I am simply doing research for a new superhero that I am creating and I need to understand the science behind my idea and if it is plausible.

A superhero that can channel the rotational force of the Earth to add kinetic energy to his strikes/movements.

Long story short, he's an Astronaut that's sent to an asteroid for an exploratory mining mission. The asteroid for some reason is gaining speed at a tremendous rate. Turns out it contains a carbon based ore that can absorb kinetic energy from nearby planets and use it for itself.
Lab explosion, the ore fuses with his body (both carbon based) and gives him the ability to do the same plus making him practically invulnerable to most physical attacks since his bones are now made of a super strong metal alloy.

In a comic book sense does this work? I want it to be somewhat plausible and not too over the top.

In order to limit his abilities I was thinking that he must be in contact with the Earth in order to use his powers. Buildings and things like that included through transitive logic lol.

Would this work into the equation of f=ma?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the Earth's rotational energy? Wow, new one for me. The idea sounds kewl to me; as good as any other I've seen lately. Gotta love those lab explosions, eh?

The super is going to have plenty of energy at his disposal--the Earth's rotational energy is about 10 to the 29th power Joules http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#boom

How you relate that energy to Force and F=ma I'm not sure. (metric system) a Joule is equal to 1 Newton exerted over a distance of 1 meter. So to convert J to F (which is in Newtons) a distance must be specified.

The total rotational energy of Earth is on the order of 10^30 Joules, which corresponds to trillions of stupendously huge nuclear weapons. Converting all of it into heat would be easily sufficient to melt the Earth's crust, thus definitively eradicating all life. So, we're talking about plot-breaking power levels here, to say the least. Something to keep in mind.

In a comic book sense does this work? I want it to be somewhat plausible and not too over the top.

I'd say yes to the first and last points, and no to the middle one. I'm not all that familiar with the American superhero comic tradition, but as far as I can tell, this isn't any more ludicrous or over the top than some of the classics. Plausible, it is not, in any remotely scientific sense.

Up to you. It's not plausible in the framework of Newtonian mechanics, so there is no strong requirement of sticking to that relation. On the other hand, there's no reason not to try and keep the effects of this power compatible with how the world usually works, even if its causes do not. It certainly won't do any harm to use it, anyway.

I figured it's pretty cliche but it was the only way I could think getting the ore into his system.

By my logic, the amount of ore in his body directly correlates to the amount he can channel. So in reality he cannot channel the full force of the earth. If he could he would probably be able to stop the Earth's rotation thus becoming a pretty bad-*** villain.

In the story line I will state the maximum energy output he can exert, just to keep him reigned in. I want him to have a cap on his power. Even Superman has his limits.

I also had a concept of an exoskeleton suit that contained gyroscopes made of the same ore in his body. The suit absorbs momentum and holds it for him to use. Kind of like a Kinetic Battery.

onomatomanic said:
The total rotational energy of Earth is on the order of 10^30 Joules, which corresponds to trillions of stupendously huge nuclear weapons. Converting all of it into heat would be easily sufficient to melt the Earth's crust, thus definitively eradicating all life. So, we're talking about plot-breaking power levels here, to say the least. Something to keep in mind.

I'd say yes to the first and last points, and no to the middle one. I'm not all that familiar with the American superhero comic tradition, but as far as I can tell, this isn't any more ludicrous or over the top than some of the classics. Plausible, it is not, in any remotely scientific sense.

Up to you. It's not plausible in the framework of Newtonian mechanics, so there is no strong requirement of sticking to that relation. On the other hand, there's no reason not to try and keep the effects of this power compatible with how the world usually works, even if its causes do not. It certainly won't do any harm to use it, anyway.

Well that all works for me! The comic universe my friends and I are creating will be set in our modern world. Major cities will exist, major events will have happened so I want to keep it somewhat plausible to modern science. However, I will be bending the laws of everything to a certain extent. They are Superheroes after all. :)

Our next Hero is a Demi-God, son of Anubis. A parkour type assassin who works at a Morgue.

Thanks so much you guys! You have been a big help!

Hmm. Maybe use could use that KE of the Earth this way: the amount of KE in a square meter under his/her feet. Divide 1.2e29 J by the number of square meters on the Earth's surface?!
Don't have the numbers with me but I bet it's still quite a bit of energy. Ten, eleven thousand km by 1 meter squared.

One nonillion divided by 120 trillion? I need a better calculator on my phone lol

one nonillion / 120 trillion = 8.3333333e+15
(According to Google)

120 trillion square meters on the earth? OK. Using Windows calcultaor, umm... 8,333,333,333,333,333.3333333333333333 Joules. 83 quadrillion. Looking at the Boom Table, that's 60% more powerful that the B83, the most powerful nuke in the US arsenal.

Or using the BT figures... a quadrillion joules... 10% greater than Nagasaki.

Surface area: 510,072,000 km²
148,940,000 km² land (29.2 %) 361,132,000 km² water (70.8 %)
or
Approx. 120 trillion

That's what I found, but I just realized it's in Kilometers. *doh*

So I just divided 83 quadrillion by 1000 and I got: 8,300,000,000,000 Joules

Lemme try. A nonillion divided by 510 trillion... 1,960,784,313,725,490 J., about 2 quadrillion=2e15. 40% greater than a 6.9 earthquake. Batman's got nothing in his utility belt for that!

Every time it was used, the Earth would spin a little slower.

chasrob said:
Lemme try. A nonillion divided by 510 trillion... 1,960,784,313,725,490 J., about 2 quadrillion=2e15. 40% greater than a 6.9 earthquake. Batman's got nothing in his utility belt for that!

But the 510 Trillion is in Square Kilometers, aren't we calculating for a Square Meter?

Subject39 said:
But the 510 Trillion is in Square Kilometers, aren't we calculating for a Square Meter?

Nevermind! I see where I went wrong. lol That's why I shouldn't try math. I didn't even pass HS Algebra!
So wow... that's a lot of force in 1 square meter.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to calculate it for one square meter of the total volume of the Earth and not just the surface area?

Hmm, not that this matters too much as you're using comic book science but given that the hero is at rest to the Earth the kinetic energy for him is zero. To suggest otherwise is to (I think) suggest an absolute frame of reference and thus break relativity.

Ryan_m_b said:
Hmm, not that this matters too much as you're using comic book science but given that the hero is at rest to the Earth the kinetic energy for him is zero. To suggest otherwise is to (I think) suggest an absolute frame of reference and thus break relativity.

Good point! I didn't think about that!

Onto the next Calc. So here we go, let's see how well I do.
The total Volume of the Earth is:
1,097,509,500,000,000,000,000 cubic meters
Divide that by 2.1 Nonillion we get:
1913423072.8754511919942378630891 Joules
Divide that by 4184 so we can get the TNT equivalent it comes out to:
Round that out to:
460,000 grams of TNT

Referencing that to the chart his strike would contain the force of a Tomahawk Cruise Missile. Holy cow.

So, either way, he's pretty powerful.

Ryan_m_b said:

Nono, non-rotating frames are privileged over rotating frames, even in relativity. The problem would be of a more practical nature - how do you extract rotational energy from something without having a quasi-Archimedean "place to stand" which doesn't rotate along with it? I suppose the Moon or one of the other planets would do the trick, sort of, in principle - in practice, not so much. :smile:

Subject39 said:
Wouldn't it be more accurate to calculate it for one square meter of the total volume of the Earth and not just the surface area?

Yeah, that square meter idea was just off the top of my head. OTOH, you could figure the volume of a square meter all the way through the earth---10 or eleven thousand km. (what I was talking about up post)--and compare that with the Earth's total volume, then use that percentage against 1^30...

chasrob said:
Yeah, that square meter idea was just off the top of my head. OTOH, you could figure the volume of a square meter all the way through the earth---10 or eleven thousand km. (what I was talking about up post--and compare that with the Earth's total volume, then use that percentage against 1^30...

Yeah, I think I will stick with my 1 cubic meter out of the entire volume of the Earth tho. Basically he draws the Kinetic Energy from a 3*3*3 spot from under him. It limits his power while still keeping him superpowered.

onomatomanic said:
Nono, non-rotating frames are privileged over rotating frames, even in relativity. The problem would be of a more practical nature - how do you extract rotational energy from something without having a quasi-Archimedean "place to stand" which doesn't rotate along with it? I suppose the Moon or one of the other planets would do the trick, sort of, in principle - in practice, not so much. :smile:

I see what you're saying, I shall label my logic Troll and be done with it. lol

For sake of comic book physics however. I think it's safe to assume his power works with him standing on the surface of the earth. :p

onomatomanic said:
In other words this hero would only be able to extract energy from things moving relative to him? If so then don't worry about the Earth, he can just take from everything around him. Villain shoots a gun, hero absorbs the energy of the bullet leaving it to fall harmlessly. Out of control car screeches towards a child, hero absorbs the energy of the car causing it to stop instantly. Robbers in the foyer with the hero in the penthouse, they can jump out of the window and not be harmed because they absorb all the energy of their fall.

Insert as plot requires.

Ryan_m_b said:
In other words this hero would only be able to extract energy from things moving relative to him? If so then don't worry about the Earth, he can just take from everything around him. Villain shoots a gun, hero absorbs the energy of the bullet leaving it to fall harmlessly. Out of control car screeches towards a child, hero absorbs the energy of the car causing it to stop instantly. Robbers in the foyer with the hero in the penthouse, they can jump out of the window and not be harmed because they absorb all the energy of their fall.

Insert as plot requires.

If that makes more sense I will write him that way since it's how I originally created him.

Subject39 said:
If that makes more sense I will write him that way since it's how I originally created him.
I've only ever read one but I'm given to understand that comic books and sense don't go hand in hand :tongue2:

Subject39 said:
For sake of comic book physics however. I think it's safe to assume his power works with him standing on the surface of the earth.

I actually agree entirely. That is how these things work in cartoons and comics, I imagine because of some vague analogy to a "battery" with which one has to make "contact". As I said, this may not be scientifically plausible, but it doesn't strike me as far-fetched by the standards of your subgenre!

onomatomanic said:
I actually agree entirely. That is how these things work in cartoons and comics, I imagine because of some vague analogy to a "battery" with which one has to make "contact". As I said, this may not be scientifically plausible, but it doesn't strike me as far-fetched by the standards of your subgenre!

Awesome! I think his superpower has been officially created!

Thanks so much you guys!

Step 2

How plausible is it for him to transfer the energy he has absorbed from the Earth to a target in the distance without having to touch it?

Or would this be like creating a pressure wave effectively destroying whatever is in it's path?

Stands to reason that if he can absórb power from the Earth, then he can also transmit power through the Earth, it seems to me. Something like stomping his foot over here to create a localized quake over there should definitely be within his abilities, therefore.

But throwing a punch over here to punch someone over there feel inconsistent to me. That punch would have to be transmitted through the air somehow, unless you're talking about some form of "pure energy beam", whatever that may be. Usually, when a superpowered being is tied to one of the four cardinal elements as directly as yours is to Earth, they can't exert influence over the three others, in my limited experience.

Is something like the stomping attack I suggested good enough, or does he require more?

onomatomanic said:
Stands to reason that if he can absórb power from the Earth, then he can also transmit power through the Earth, it seems to me. Something like stomping his foot over here to create a localized quake over there should definitely be within his abilities, therefore.

But throwing a punch over here to punch someone over there feel inconsistent to me. That punch would have to be transmitted through the air somehow, unless you're talking about some form of "pure energy beam", whatever that may be. Usually, when a superpowered being is tied to one of the four cardinal elements as directly as yours is to Earth, they can't exert influence over the three others, in my limited experience.

Is something like the stomping attack I suggested good enough, or does he require more?

That's a fantastic idea! Transmitting kinetic energy through the Earth makes total sense!
I was thinking that he could cause a pressure wave with the absorbed energy so he can knock things out of the air from a distance, stop a falling person, bullets, things like that.

Subject39 said:
I was thinking that he could cause a pressure wave with the absorbed energy so he can knock things out of the air from a distance, stop a falling person, bullets, things like that.

Yeah, as I said, anything that utilizes Air or Water or Fire directly would feel off to me, given his Earth-powers. A pressure wave would be using Air directly, obviously.

He could be able to throw rocks (which are part of the Earth) with high speed and precision, which would take care of knocking things down and deflecting bullets.

To catching a falling person, I can't really think of a way without him actually being there in person, though.

onomatomanic said:
Yeah, as I said, anything that utilizes Air or Water or Fire directly would feel off to me, given his Earth-powers. A pressure wave would be using Air directly, obviously.

He could be able to throw rocks (which are part of the Earth) with high speed and precision, which would take care of knocking things down and deflecting bullets.

To catching a falling person, I can't really think of a way without him actually being there in person, though.

So I have inadvertently created an Earth Bender from Avatar. XD

I think with the concept of the superpower, transferring Kinetic Energy from the Earth. It's isn't too far off to think hat he could cause small pressure waves originating from discharges of energy from his body. It would be limited to that however. He couldn't just cause a car to fly in the air by pointing at it and transferring the force.

Nah, it doesn't really work for me, no matter how restricted. If one draws power from only one thing, then one should have power over only that one thing. Anything else feels a little jarring.

Needless to say, that's just my opinion. Your work, your rules, obviously.

Maybe have a little TVTropes Wiki Walk, starting at Elemental Powers, to get a broader perspective on this.

Subject39 said:
Hello everyone!
I am by no means a Physicist, I am simply doing research for a new superhero that I am creating and I need to understand the science behind my idea and if it is plausible.

A superhero that can channel the rotational force of the Earth to add kinetic energy to his strikes/movements.

Long story short, he's an Astronaut that's sent to an asteroid for an exploratory mining mission. The asteroid for some reason is gaining speed at a tremendous rate. Turns out it contains a carbon based ore that can absorb kinetic energy from nearby planets and use it for itself.
Lab explosion, the ore fuses with his body (both carbon based) and gives him the ability to do the same plus making him practically invulnerable to most physical attacks since his bones are now made of a super strong metal alloy.

In order to limit his abilities I was thinking that he must be in contact with the Earth in order to use his powers. Buildings and things like that included through transitive logic lol.

I like it. It's original.

It's also classic. Hercules fights the son the of Earth, who gains power from the Earth. Hercules has to hold him off the ground while strangling him.

Here is my explanation for the pressure waves of Kinetic Energy. He has suit built for him, made with the same ore that has been fused with his body. It act's like a battery, storing kinetic energy. It allows him to use his power in situations where he is not touching the earth, just to a lesser degree. It also has "blow-off valves" that can unleash pressure waves of KE. So it's not so much his power, it's the tech that's been built for him.

ImaLooser said:
I like it. It's original.

It's also classic. Hercules fights the son the of Earth, who gains power from the Earth. Hercules has to hold him off the ground while strangling him.

I think that would work amazingly well as a story line. I may have to credit you once we write it.

*EDIT* It would be a fight before he gets his "Battery Suit"

1. What makes this new superhero concept unique?

This new superhero concept combines elements from different genres, such as science fiction and fantasy, to create a completely original and dynamic character. It also challenges traditional superhero tropes and introduces new powers and abilities.

2. How does this superhero fit into the existing comic universe?

The new superhero concept has a well-developed backstory and connections to other characters in the comic universe. They have a clear role and purpose within the larger narrative and can interact with other heroes and villains in meaningful ways.

3. What sets this superhero apart from others in the genre?

This superhero has a complex and relatable personality, with flaws and struggles that make them more human. They also have a unique set of powers and abilities that make them stand out from other superheroes.

4. Will this superhero appeal to a wide audience?

Yes, this superhero concept has been carefully crafted to appeal to a diverse audience. They have a compelling story and relatable traits that can resonate with readers of all ages and backgrounds.

5. How will this superhero contribute to the overall narrative of the comic?

This new superhero concept has a significant role to play in the ongoing story of the comic. They bring new challenges, conflicts, and alliances that drive the plot forward and keep readers engaged and invested in the larger narrative.