Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New tesla sedan from 49k, thoughts?

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    # - 300 mile range
    # - 45 minute QuickCharge
    # - 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds
    # - Seats 7 people
    # - More Cargo space than sedans
    # - 2X as efficient as hybrids
    # - 17 inch infotainment touchscreen

Frankly this looks amazing, sounds less damaging then combustion engines. However if electric cars become mainstream- we'd have an increased demand on electricty, which is still widely coal powered.

Also with fuel cells technology improving, would there still be a market for electric cars? I'm biased a tad, I'm an electrical engineering student and a sucker for head turning car bodies.

thoughts?
    http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/228/logo8167553.png [Broken]
    http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5597/overview8167686.jpg [Broken]
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7213/range8167692.jpg [Broken]
    http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6899/utility8167697.jpg [Broken]
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7166/performance8167702.jpg [Broken]
    http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5994/technology8167715.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2
    Re: New tesla sedan from 49, thoughts?

Let the big three FAIL so these companies can take the market up.

4. May 12, 2009 #3

so far at another forum we found that despite having full torque at 0 rpm (the acceleration is insane), the top speed might not be there with internal combustion engines, .

5. May 12, 2009 #4

Yeah, because we all go 160+ MPH.

6. May 12, 2009 #5
    I think it would be interesting to calculate how much pollution you eliminate by going from a combustion engine to an electric car powered by coal power plants (or maybe there is something to this effect floating around now?).

7. May 12, 2009 #6
    Hopefully the world will wise up and switch entirely to nuclear power soon. This car looks awesome.

8. May 12, 2009 #7
    Tesla can't even keep their promises with their roadster. I don't see how this car is going to be any different.

9. May 12, 2009 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, we'll see what it actually costs and how it actually performs when it is released (it is still more than two years away!), but it certainly is pretty.

10. May 12, 2009 #9
    Wow that car looks amazing. As other said though, lets wait until it actually hits the market.

11. May 12, 2009 #10
    I'm curious of how much electrical power this thing can store for use and then what the current draw is to charge in 45min. Everyone on one neighborhood block plugging in their car at the same time could be interesting.

12. May 12, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not as daft as this
    zero_model_s_01.jpg
    They are planning a sports version, 60mph top speed, 60mile range for a mere 9000GBP = $13500!

Thats about 3 times the price of a CBR125 or a bit more than a CBR900!
    Oh and the power/weight means you can't ride it as a learner, you need to be over 25 and have a licence for 3years.

13. May 12, 2009 #12
    If it looked like this, it would sell:

http://www.evolvingtype.com/teddy/archives/images/suzuki_gstrider.jpg [Broken]

(this is a concept bike, unfortunately...because if they mass produced it, I would buy it. Or steal it. Basically I'd sleep with your mom to get my hands on it, if that's what it took..)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. May 13, 2009 #13
    apparently the 50k price tag is due to the expensive Li-Ion batteries is uses. They're trying to have this compete with the BMW5 series.

Fingers crossed that the interior is as mouthwatering.

15. May 13, 2009 #14

berkeman

A guy I swim workouts with has a Tesla, and the cost numbers for commuting in it were pretty impressive (not the purchase price, though). A non-fossile-fuel source of energy makes it moderately attractive. He pays a premium for wind electrical recharge power sources, and still is ahead versus Arab gas. Probably some US subsidies are involved in his price structure, though. Interesting alternative going forward, though.

16. May 13, 2009 #15
    It doesn't matter if its still powered by coal generated electricity, one large powerplant is more efficient than several combustion engines so all in all there will be an improvement (not to mention the reduction of smog in cities)

17. May 13, 2009 #16

russ_watters

That isn't necessarily true due to efficiency losses in the conversions and transport. It also likely depends on the kind of driving and kind of car. Electric is much more efficient than conventional gas powered for city driving - but then a regular hybrid can realize most of that efficiency gain while still being fully gas powered.

18. May 13, 2009 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 50k price is because that's what BMW/Mercedes/Porsche charge.
    Although I don't know how they are hoping to achieve it when the roadster, built on a $30K Lotus costs $120K

I think they stand a good chance with this. You buy cars in this price range because of image and performance.
    Acceleration (which this is great at) matters more day-day than top speed (which it isn't) in the USA (perhaps not in Germany)
    Image this wins hands down, it's rare enough to turn heads and has the extra electric car interest factor. So that puts it up in Lamborghini/Masserati territory rather than BMW.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  19. May 13, 2009 #18
    I like it.
    What it looks like is secondary to me. The battery reliability tech is what's important.

I really don't want to spend big bucks to turn peoples heads. Tuning peoples heads doesn't save me a dime.

20. May 13, 2009 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I'm having a little difficulty visualizing Peter Fonda or Dennis Hopper looking all that cool on one of these.

21. May 13, 2009 #20
    Tesla is definitely making impressive progress. I can imagine these actually getting bought at this price. If the economy were doing better and the price of gas were doing worse, it seems like Tesla would be in pretty good shape right now.

How do these compare to the Volt featurewise?

When do these hit market?

The Chevy Volt is $40k, but that's supposed to be with Chevy losing a bunch of money on each one. Toyota has reportedly sold the Prius at even bigger losses at various points. Is Tesla selling these at a loss?

Is Tesla still manufacturing these in England?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook