New theorems in undergraduate subjects

In summary, textbooks contain both general theorems that apply to various situations and more specialized theorems needed to prove them, which are often called lemmas. However, there is no strict rule on how to classify these theorems. Additionally, it is possible to construct any formula and call it a theorem, but whether it is considered a valuable contribution to mathematics depends on its applicability and significance.
flamengo
Is it possible to deduce theorems besides those in the books of mathematics (I'm talking about consecrated subjects such as Calculus and Real Analysis, for example)? Again, my question is not at the research level. My question is at the undergraduate level. And if so, why are the Calculus books so standardized ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Depends on what you call theorems. Very general results of interest in many different applications, accessible with undergrad tools: see the textbooks. There are more that you can prove at an undergrad level, but they won't be that important and usually more specialized, otherwise they would have been added to the books.

Likes flamengo
But I think that sometimes it's necessary to prove a new theorem or lemma in order to solve a problem or exercise. Is this true ? I think this occurs mainly in math competitions.

flamengo said:
But I think that sometimes it's necessary to prove a new theorem or lemma in order to solve a problem or exercise. Is this true ? I think this occurs mainly in math competitions.
These are usually auxiliary statements shaped to fit in the specific situation given and thus not very valuable in general contexts.

There are mainly two types of theorems in textbooks: those which reveal a deeper understanding of a theory and apply to several situations and those needed to prove them, which are often called lemma or proposition. However, there is no norm of how to call what. Some lemmas do actually belong to the first kind and are still called lemma, e.g. for historical reasons.

In the end you could construct any formula that applies to certain numbers and call it theorem. I once found the following funny formula on the internet: ##2^n+7^n+8^n+18^n+19^n+24^n=3^n+4^n+12^n+14^n+22^n+23^n \; (n=0,\ldots,5)##
I can't imagine anyone who would call it a theorem or even a proposition. And if it can be found in a textbook, then for the same reason as here: for entertainment.

Likes flamengo
fresh_42 said:
In the end you could construct any formula that applies to certain numbers and call it theorem. I once found the following funny formula on the internet: ##2^n+7^n+8^n+18^n+19^n+24^n=3^n+4^n+12^n+14^n+22^n+23^n \; (n=0,\ldots,5)##
I can't imagine anyone who would call it a theorem or even a proposition. And if it can be found in a textbook, then for the same reason as here: for entertainment.
A method of generating similar formulas for even larger n ranges (but with prefactors) is discussed in this thread.

1. What is the importance of new theorems in undergraduate subjects?

New theorems in undergraduate subjects are important because they contribute to the advancement of knowledge in various fields. They can also help to fill gaps in existing theories and provide new insights into complex concepts.

2. How are new theorems discovered in undergraduate subjects?

New theorems in undergraduate subjects are typically discovered through research and experimentation. Scientists and researchers use various methods and techniques to explore different theories and concepts, ultimately leading to the discovery of new theorems.

3. Are new theorems in undergraduate subjects always accurate?

No, new theorems in undergraduate subjects are not always accurate. They are subject to peer review and must be tested and validated by other scientists in the field before being accepted as accurate. This is an important part of the scientific process to ensure the validity and reliability of new theorems.

4. How do new theorems in undergraduate subjects impact the scientific community?

New theorems in undergraduate subjects can have a significant impact on the scientific community by expanding our understanding of various subjects. They can also lead to the development of new technologies and applications, and inspire further research and exploration in related areas.

5. How can students benefit from learning about new theorems in undergraduate subjects?

Learning about new theorems in undergraduate subjects can benefit students by providing them with a deeper understanding of the subject matter and exposing them to cutting-edge research and discoveries. It can also inspire students to pursue their own research and contribute to the scientific community in the future.