New unit of mass in a different system of units....

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of natural units in physics, specifically converting units for ##G## from ##m, s, kg## to ##m, T_e, M_e##. The conversion is done by setting ##G = 1 \ m^3 T_e^{-2} M_e^{-1}## and solving for ##T_e## and ##M_e##, resulting in the values of ##3.33 \times 10^{-9} s## and ##1.35 \times 10^{27} kg##, respectively. However, it is noted that in this method, the quantities still have dimensions and to consider dimensionless quantities would be a further step.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
In this new system of units, the unit length is still 1 m, however the units of time and mass are chosen such that c and G are both of magnitude unity. What's the new unit of mass, in kg?
Relevant Equations
N/A
I'm finding it slightly tricky to just get a hold of where to start. I try $$\text{m}\text{s}^{-1} = \frac{c}{3\times 10^8}$$ If we then set ##c = 1##, that would seem to imply $$3\times 10^8 = \text{s}\text{m}^{-1}$$For ##G = 1##, I might also write $$\text{kg}\text{m}^{-3}\text{s}^{2} = 6.67\times 10^{-11}$$From here I'm slightly lost. I wondered whether I should try to isolate ##\text{kg}## somehow, like $$\text{s}^{2} = 9 \times 10^{16} \text{m}^{2} \implies 1 \text{kg} = 7.41 \times 10^{-28} \text{m}$$But this doesn't seem to help me much. I wondered whether someone could give me a little pointer in the right direction? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could imagine converting units for ##G## from ##m, s, kg## to ##m, T_e, M_e##, say.

If you want ##G = 1 \ m^3 T_e^{-2} M_e^{-1}##, then that shoud give you the conversion from ##kg## to ##M_e## units.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
##T_e = 3.34 \times 10^{-9}s, \ \ M_e = 1.35 \times 10^{27}kg##

PeroK said:
You could imagine converting units for ##G## from ##m, s, kg## to ##m, T_e, M_e##, say.

If you want ##G = 1 \ m^3 T_e^{-2} M_e^{-1}##, then that shoud give you the conversion from ##kg## to ##M_e## units.

So then $$G = 1m^3T_e^{-2}M_e^{-1} = 6.67 \times 10^{-11} m^{3} s^{-2} kg^{-1}$$ $$c = 1m T_e^{-1} = 3 \times 10^{8} m s^{-1}$$ After a bit of cancellation: $$T_e = 3.33 \times 10^{-9} s$$ $$M_e = 1.35 \times 10^{27} kg$$

I think I understand this method, but I thought that when we use some form of natural units we set the relevant quantities (in this case, ##c## and ##G##) to be dimensionless, like ##c=1##. However, in this method the quantities still have dimensions. I wonder if this is just because of how the question is formulated - i.e. it's not exactly a natural unit system in this case?

PeroK said:
##T_e = 3.34 \times 10^{-9}s, \ \ M_e = 1.35 \times 10^{27}kg##

Pipped to the post :cool:

Likes PeroK
etotheipi said:
However, in this method the quantities still have dimensions. I wonder if this is just because of how the question is formulated - i.e. it's not exactly a natural unit system in this case?
To consider dimensionless quantities is something further.

You can now measure time in metres and a speed becomes a dimensionless quantity. And, you can measure mass in metres. Your ##1.35 \times10^{27} kg## becomes ##1m## and that is, physically, half the Schwarzschild radius of something of that mass. And your gravitational constant becomes dimensionless if you measure mass, length and time all in metres.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
To consider dimensionless quantities is something further.

You can now measure time in metres and a speed becomes a dimensionless quantity. And, you can measure mass in metres. Your ##1.35 \times10^{27} kg## becomes ##1m##

Ah OK sure. So the next time someone asks me how tall I am, I'll just give it in kilograms...

PeroK said:
and that is, physically, half the Schwarzschild radius of something of that mass.

That's quite a nice touch!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a unit of mass?

A unit of mass is a measurement used to quantify the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg) in the International System of Units (SI).

2. Why would a new unit of mass be needed?

A new unit of mass may be needed in a different system of units to provide a more convenient or accurate measurement for a specific application. For example, in the imperial system, mass is measured in pounds (lbs) and ounces (oz), which may not be as precise as kilograms for scientific experiments.

3. How is a new unit of mass determined?

A new unit of mass is typically determined by defining a standard object or substance with a known mass and using that as a reference point. For example, the kilogram was originally defined as the mass of 1 liter of water at 4 degrees Celsius.

4. How does a new unit of mass affect scientific research?

A new unit of mass may have an impact on scientific research by providing more precise or consistent measurements, allowing for better comparisons and analysis of data. It may also open up new possibilities for experiments and discoveries.

5. Are there any challenges in adopting a new unit of mass?

Yes, there can be challenges in adopting a new unit of mass, as it may require changes to equipment and procedures used in scientific research. It may also take time for scientists to adjust to the new unit and for it to be widely accepted and adopted in the scientific community.