Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Zealand's green White Island Volcano

1. May 3, 2016 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

New Zealand

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/new-zealands-white-island-volcano-rumbles-life-paints-green/

I've not heard of green ash before. Is it mineral or perhaps algae/plant matter?

Ruapehu had a brief earthquake swarm last week under the volcano. The crater lake at the volcano’s summit also experienced warming. The swarm was a little out of the ordinary for Ruapehu, but the unrest seems to have quickly subsided and the temperature of the crater lake has also declined. According to the new article, the lake has warmed over 15ºC over the last few weeks, peaking at 42ºC.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

haven't heard of the green ash either.
    I know the hot pools within the crater are quite colourful with various algae, but I wouldn't have thought it would have been enough to produce
    such a noticeable colour change in the surface of the crater walls if this water was then ejected out of the crater

I might send GNS an email and see if they have an explanation :smile:

Dave

4. May 3, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK email sent ....

5. May 3, 2016 #4

1oldman2

Gold Member

6. May 16, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well it took a while, but a response was forthcoming :smile:

some more discussion within that link

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted