Volcanic eruption on White Island, New Zealand

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, a group of tourists on a shore excursion on White Island were killed when the island erupted. No-one is believed to be alive on the island.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
What a horrifying scenario on a small island. It would be analogous to fire on an airplane or fire on a boat, where you can't flee.

I too would love to be a tourist to see a live volcano up close. But I realize that is a very hazardous thing to do. I would also like to fly a wingsuit in Norway, but my wife won't let me.

Likes Astronuc and davenn
Last edited:
anorlunda said:
I too would love to be a tourist to see a live volcano up close. But I realize that is a very hazardous thing to do. I would also like to fly a wingsuit in Norway, but my wife won't let me.

well, I have done the volcano thing, outstanding !

IMGP2525_hfa.jpg

but there aint no way you are going to get me to jump out of a plane or off a cliff :eek:Dave

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, jim mcnamara and anorlunda
We had a family holiday in New Zealand earlier this year, and it is certainly promoted as the 'adventure' destination for tourists.

I'd looked at a Whakaari (White Island) tour, as I've always wanted to see a volcano up-close and missed the opportunity when visiting Mauritius (La Réunion is close but time was against us). A side trip to Whakaari was not logistically possible, but we saw plenty of lower-level volcanic activity in and around Rotorua but I can still barely imagine the horror and stress of being caught up in an eruption event.

This is a tragic reminder that for all we seemed to have 'tamed' nature, it's a false comfort and environmental risks abound, whether obvious as in this case, or slow moving and insidious as with climate change.

1. What caused the volcanic eruption on White Island, New Zealand?

The volcanic eruption on White Island, New Zealand was caused by the sudden release of built-up pressure and magma within the volcano's chamber. This is a natural process that occurs when the pressure becomes too great for the volcano to contain.

2. Was there any warning before the volcanic eruption on White Island, New Zealand?

Yes, there were some warning signs before the volcanic eruption on White Island, New Zealand. The volcano had been showing increased levels of seismic activity and gas emissions in the days leading up to the eruption. However, the eruption itself was unexpected and there was no specific warning given prior to the event.

3. How often does White Island, New Zealand experience volcanic eruptions?

White Island, New Zealand is an active volcano and experiences frequent eruptions. The last major eruption before the 2019 event was in 2016, but the volcano has been erupting regularly since 1975. However, the level and intensity of these eruptions can vary greatly.

4. What are the potential hazards of a volcanic eruption on White Island, New Zealand?

The potential hazards of a volcanic eruption on White Island, New Zealand include ash fall, pyroclastic flows, lava flows, and toxic gas emissions. These can pose a threat to nearby communities and can also affect air travel and infrastructure in the surrounding area.

5. How do scientists monitor and predict volcanic eruptions on White Island, New Zealand?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to monitor and predict volcanic eruptions on White Island, New Zealand. These include seismometers to measure seismic activity, gas sensors to detect gas emissions, and satellite imagery to track changes in the volcano's appearance. Additionally, scientists also use historical data and their knowledge of the volcano's behavior to make predictions about future eruptions.