Volcanic eruption on White Island, New Zealand

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
What a horrifying scenario on a small island. It would be analogous to fire on an airplane or fire on a boat, where you can't flee.

I too would love to be a tourist to see a live volcano up close. But I realize that is a very hazardous thing to do. I would also like to fly a wingsuit in Norway, but my wife won't let me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and davenn
anorlunda said:
I too would love to be a tourist to see a live volcano up close. But I realize that is a very hazardous thing to do. I would also like to fly a wingsuit in Norway, but my wife won't let me.

well, I have done the volcano thing, outstanding !

IMGP2525_hfa.jpg


but there aint no way you are going to get me to jump out of a plane or off a cliff :eek:Dave
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, jim mcnamara and anorlunda
We had a family holiday in New Zealand earlier this year, and it is certainly promoted as the 'adventure' destination for tourists.

I'd looked at a Whakaari (White Island) tour, as I've always wanted to see a volcano up-close and missed the opportunity when visiting Mauritius (La Réunion is close but time was against us). A side trip to Whakaari was not logistically possible, but we saw plenty of lower-level volcanic activity in and around Rotorua but I can still barely imagine the horror and stress of being caught up in an eruption event.

This is a tragic reminder that for all we seemed to have 'tamed' nature, it's a false comfort and environmental risks abound, whether obvious as in this case, or slow moving and insidious as with climate change.