News on an NP problem from an Amoeba

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of solving the NP=P problem, with the participants discussing different approaches and examples of living organisms solving computationally difficult problems. The use of amoebas, bees, and ants as models for finding solutions is mentioned, along with the question of whether there are intrinsic difficulties or if humans are simply not smart enough to solve these problems. The conversation also touches on the difference between computational methods and natural processes in finding solutions.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
No, joke, I really dreamt somebody has solved the NP=P problem these days. Well, as I didn't dream of the proof, it probably won't matter that I don't remember the outcome. But I never had expected help from this side:

Abstract
Choosing a better move correctly and quickly is a fundamental skill of living organisms that corresponds to solving a computationally demanding problem. A unicellular plasmodium of Physarum polycephalum searches for a solution to the traveling salesman problem (TSP) by changing its shape to minimize the risk of being exposed to aversive light stimuli. In our previous studies, we reported the results on the eight-city TSP solution. In this study, we show that the time taken by plasmodium to find a reasonably high-quality TSP solution grows linearly as the problem size increases from four to eight. Interestingly, the quality of the solution does not degrade despite the explosive expansion of the search space. Formulating a computational model, we show that the linear-time solution can be achieved if the intrinsic dynamics could allocate intracellular resources to grow the plasmodium terminals with a constant rate, even while responding to the stimuli. These results may lead to the development of novel analogue computers enabling approximate solutions of complex optimization problems in linear time.
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.180396

Likes QuantumQuest, anorlunda, jedishrfu and 1 other person
Technology news on Phys.org
Ameoba to be or not ameoba to be
that is the question for NP=?=P

My, how unexpected. Your dream antenna seems right on.

The question really bothers me. I knew someone who lost a bet on it (solved until somewhat in the 90s) and had to pay for a balloon trip across the Alps. But what makes it so exciting is the question beyond: Are there intrinsic difficulties out there or are we just not smart enough? That some Amoebas beats us to it is a bit embarrassing.

I think its more a problem of solving it via simulation methods. The difference between computationally finding a geodesic vs actually letting gravity do its thing.

Likes aaroman, QuantumQuest and fresh_42
jedishrfu said:
The difference between computationally finding a geodesic vs actually letting gravity do its thing.
Good comparison.

However I think your view is valid too in that we haven't yet found a means to compute it quickly yet since we know its done in nature.

Weren't there earlier reports of the traveling salesmen solved by bees or ants? I recall that they left scent trails, shortest paths had the strongest scent, and later ants followed the strongest scent.

anorlunda said:
Weren't there earlier reports of the traveling salesmen solved by bees or ants? I recall that they left scent trails, shortest paths had the strongest scent, and later ants followed the strongest scent.
I think I've read something similar. On the other hand, IIRC (it's really long ago) then NP problems are solvable in P if there is an oracle tape attached to the TM. The scents can probably be interpreted as such a tape.

1. What is an NP problem?

An NP problem, or non-deterministic polynomial time problem, is a type of computational problem that is difficult to solve using traditional algorithms. These problems require a large amount of time and resources to solve, and their complexity increases as the problem size grows.

2. How does an amoeba relate to an NP problem?

An amoeba is often used as a metaphor to explain the concept of an NP problem. Just as an amoeba can quickly grow and multiply, an NP problem can quickly become very complex and difficult to solve as the problem size increases.

3. Has an amoeba actually solved an NP problem?

No, an amoeba has not actually solved an NP problem. The use of an amoeba as a metaphor for NP problems is simply to illustrate the concept of a problem that grows exponentially in complexity.

4. Is there any new research or developments in the field of NP problems from amoebas?

Yes, there have been recent developments in using biological systems, including amoebas, to help solve NP problems. This branch of research is known as biological computing and has shown promising results in solving complex problems more efficiently.

5. Can amoebas be used to solve all NP problems?

No, not all NP problems can be solved using amoebas or other biological systems. These methods are still in the early stages of research and may not be applicable to all types of NP problems. Traditional computing methods are still necessary for many types of NP problems.