Newton 2nd. 2D velocity fn. Distance (boundry conditions)

In summary, the particle is projected vertically upward in a constant gravitational field and has an initial speed. If there is a retarding force proportional to the square of the instantaneous speed, the speed of the particle when it returns to the initial position is
Physics_tryhard
I understand that this has been answered, but I can't follow it. My apologies, physics is a realm I want to understand but it doesn't come naturally and I have no High school physics background just 1st yr Engineering physics. (passed with supps.)

A particle is projected vertically upward in a constant gravitational field with an initial speed v0 . Show that if there is a retarding force proportional to the square of the instantaneous speed, the speed of the particle when it returns to the initial position is

upload_2015-3-22_15-34-48.png

Homework Equations

N. 2nd Law

upload_2015-3-22_15-36-52.png

upload_2015-3-22_15-37-53.png

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that if we first solve for the way up the boundary limit for the start is v0 and at the top acceleration must be zero which is equivalent tothe equation is

upload_2015-3-22_15-45-10.png

With boundary conditions of v0 and
upload_2015-3-22_15-41-5.png
(I think...)
once I intergrate this that gives me the initial condition for the way down, right?

intergrating
upload_2015-3-22_15-45-10.png

upload_2015-3-22_16-1-18.png

do I * by exp. to remove the ln?

e^x=e^(-1/2kg)(1+kv^2)/(1+kv0^2)

I don't think my boundary conditions are correct...
my point is what do I do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that ##v_t## is the terminal velocity of the object falling under gravity with the resisting force?

I think your first mistake is to say that "acceleration is 0" at the top. If you throw an object up, the velocity is 0 at the top. Terminal velocity applies to an object falling.

Last edited:
Hello Pth, welcome to PF :smile: !

First a comment: if the problem statement says " force proportional to the square of the instantaneous speed " we usually write that as ##\vec F_r = - k v^2 \hat v## (no factor m). That way equilibrium (##\; |\vec a| = 0 \;##) exists with ##\; v_t = \sqrt{mg\over k}\; ## analogous to the derivation in this link.And you are right in splitting the trajectory in two pieces (speed ##v(0) = v_0## to ##v=0## (see post #2) on the way up, and 0 to the sought after ##v_x## on the way down): up ##F_r## and ##mg## both point down, whereas down they point in opposite directions. Two distinct equations of motion if you write out Newton's law (which please do: I can't make out how you come to your integral)

Could you re-read your attempt at solution and perhaps expand a little ?

1. What is Newton's 2nd law?

Newton's 2nd law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do you calculate velocity using Newton's 2nd law in 2D?

To calculate velocity in 2D, you can use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You will need to use vectors to represent the velocity and acceleration in two dimensions.

3. What are the boundary conditions for using Newton's 2nd law in 2D?

The boundary conditions for using Newton's 2nd law in 2D are that the object must be in a state of motion or acceleration, and there must be a net force acting on the object. Additionally, the object must not be experiencing any external forces, such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does distance factor into Newton's 2nd law in 2D?

Distance does not directly factor into Newton's 2nd law in 2D. However, the distance an object travels can be calculated using the velocity and acceleration values determined from applying Newton's 2nd law.

5. Can Newton's 2nd law be applied to non-linear motion in 2D?

Yes, Newton's 2nd law can be applied to non-linear motion in 2D. However, in this case, the acceleration will also have a non-linear relationship with the net force and mass of the object.