Newton and Leibniz approach to differentiation

In summary, both Newton and Leibniz had their own methods of differentiating, with Newton using fluxions and Leibniz using an infinitesimal definition. Examples of the algorithms they used can be found in various sources, such as the ones listed above. These techniques were developed and employed throughout their long careers and can be seen in their work.
DeeAytch
Newton and Leibniz both had a method of differentiating. Newton had fluxions and Leibniz had something that resembles the modern derivative.

Historically, does anyone know how they went about calculating the derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for responding.

I am looking specifically for examples of the algorithms as they were employed historically. If nobody can provide that, then I suppose I'll dig through the sources you listed.

Both authors had long careers in which they employed their respective techniques via a range of actual processes or algorithms which they developed as they went. The references provide access to a range of examples - you'll see what I mean quite quickly. Good luck.

DeeAytch said:
Thank you for responding.

I am looking specifically for examples of the algorithms as they were employed historically. If nobody can provide that, then I suppose I'll dig through the sources you listed.
Here is the infinitesimal definition of the derivative that Leibniz (and Newton implicitly) used: df = f(x+dx) - f(x), and df/dx = (f(x+dx) - f(x))/dx. For instance, if f(x) = x^2, then df = (x+dx)^2 - x^2 = 2xdx + dx^2, and then you get rid of dx^2 because it's the square of an infinitesimal, so it's infinitely smaller than 2xdx. Thus we have df = 2xdx, so df/dx = 2x.

1. What is the difference between Newton and Leibniz's approach to differentiation?

Newton and Leibniz both independently developed the concept of calculus, including the method of differentiation. However, Newton's approach was based on his theory of fluxions, while Leibniz's approach was based on his theory of infinitesimal calculus. This led to some differences in notation and terminology, but the underlying principles are essentially the same.

2. Which approach is considered to be more intuitive?

Many mathematicians and scientists argue that Leibniz's approach is more intuitive, as it is based on the concept of infinitely small quantities that are easy to visualize and understand. Newton's approach, on the other hand, involves the use of limits and can be more abstract.

3. What is the significance of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus in Newton and Leibniz's approaches?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that differentiation and integration are inverse operations, plays a central role in both Newton and Leibniz's approaches to calculus. It allows for the calculation of areas under curves and the evaluation of antiderivatives, making it a fundamental concept in the study of calculus.

4. Was there any controversy surrounding the development of calculus by Newton and Leibniz?

Yes, there was a significant controversy surrounding the development of calculus by Newton and Leibniz. Both claimed to have independently developed the method of differentiation, leading to a heated debate and accusations of plagiarism. The controversy was eventually settled, with both Newton and Leibniz recognized as pioneers of calculus.

5. How has the approach to differentiation evolved since the time of Newton and Leibniz?

The approach to differentiation has evolved significantly since the time of Newton and Leibniz. The concepts of limits, continuity, and differentiability have been formalized, and the notation and terminology have been standardized. Additionally, more advanced techniques and applications of differentiation have been developed, such as the chain rule, implicit differentiation, and differential equations.