Newton gravitational potential theory

In summary, there are two equations for measuring gravitational potential energy: GPE = mgh and GPE = -G\frac{m1m2}{r}. The first equation measures the change in GPE, while the second measures the absolute GPE with respect to infinity. The first equation holds for uniform gravitational fields, while the second holds for spherical and point masses. They are not equal because they measure different aspects of gravitational potential energy.
look416

Homework Statement

we all know to measure g.p,e(gravitational potential enery) we would likely to use g.p.e = mgh,
however from the theory of Newton gravitational potential energy theory, g.p.e = G[tex]\frac{m1m2}{r}[/tex], my lecturer told me that mgh is not equal to G[tex]\frac{m1m2}{r}[/tex]

Homework Equations

my question is anyone know why they are not equal?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
First and foremost, [tex]-G\frac{m_{1}\,m_{2}}{r}[/tex] measures the gravitational potential energy of the object with respect to infinity, at which the GPE is chosen to be zero. It is the absolute GPE as we define in physics.

[tex]\Delta GPE = mg\Delta h[/tex] is the true form of the gpe = mgh equation that you mentioned. This makes it clear that we are measuring the change in gpe and NOT the true gpe. It must also be noted that this formula holds only for uniform gravitational fields. In the case of objects on the earth, then it only applies for distances close to the surface of the Earth where we can approximate the gravitational field to be uniform.

Obviously the gravitational field of the Earth is not uniform, and so we can apply the approximation only in certain situations.

Last edited:
fightfish
if you say so, the both equation are valid when the object is near the gravitational sink, however both equation are not equal to each other when the object is far from the gravitational sink as the gravitational field is not uniform?

I stand corrected with my initial choice of words, which were a bit clumsy and awkward admittedly. The earlier post has been edited to reflect a more appropriate exposition.

It's not a matter of being close to a gravitational 'sink' - I was overgeneralising a bit there - but more so of the nature of the gravitational field present. It happens that at small distances from the surface of the Earth (or any massive body) (and over a small region of space), the gravitational field can be approximated as being uniform.

I stress again that both equations do not mean the same thing: the first measures the absolute gpe wrt infinity as the zero point, while the latter measures the change in gpe. The first equation holds for spherical and point masses, whereas the latter holds for uniform gravitational fields.

oh now you make me clear of it by stressing the last part
XD

1. What is Newton's gravitational potential theory?

Newton's gravitational potential theory is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how objects with mass attract each other through the force of gravity. It states that the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How did Newton develop his gravitational potential theory?

Newton's gravitational potential theory was developed through a series of experiments and observations, including his famous apple falling from a tree. He also studied the motion of planets and their orbits around the sun, which led him to formulate his laws of motion and the theory of gravity.

3. What is the significance of Newton's gravitational potential theory?

Newton's gravitational potential theory is significant because it provided a mathematical explanation for the force of gravity that had been observed for centuries. It also laid the foundation for further developments in physics and astronomy, and it is still widely used today to understand the movement of objects in space.

4. How does Newton's gravitational potential theory differ from Einstein's theory of general relativity?

While Newton's gravitational potential theory is based on the concept of a force of gravity acting between two objects, Einstein's theory of general relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. It also takes into account the effects of acceleration and the curvature of space on the motion of objects.

5. Can Newton's gravitational potential theory be applied to objects other than planets and stars?

Yes, Newton's gravitational potential theory can be applied to any object with mass, regardless of its size. This includes everyday objects on Earth, such as apples and buildings, as well as massive objects in space, such as galaxies and black holes.