1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton-Raphson Formula question

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Question:
    Find the smallest positive root of the equation x^4 + x^2 - 80= 0 correct to two decimal places. Use the Newton-Raphson process.

How would I go about finding the smallest positive root? What I was thinking is using x = 3 as x = 3 is the largest number that would be close to 0 (for the equation), then finding an approximation for that, is that correct?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) Independent of the question asked, can you see that the equation is trivially solvable exactly analytically (no need for Newton-Raphson)?

2) For a numeric solution, a start value of 3 looks fine. I assume (hope) you know how to apply Newton-Raphson from there.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. May 30, 2012 #3
    I'm perfectly aware it is solvable from that form, and I do know how to apply Newton-Raphson. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook