Newtonian Mechanics, accounting for wind?

In summary, a student in year 12 physics is working on a project about the physics of sport, specifically focusing on the inaccuracy of predicting the aerodynamic motion of a golf ball. They plan to build a pneumatic air cylinder to fire the ball at 30m/s. However, their teacher has raised the issue of accounting for wind during testing. Suggestions include measuring wind speed and direction, firing the ball into and with the wind, and considering the effects of wind blowing from different directions. The key is to use good physics to account for the wind's impact.
plutonyum94
hey everyone
I'm in year 12 physics, and we have a project revolving around the physics of sport
i selected golfing, and my initial aim is to investigate the inaccuracy associated with predicting the aerodynamic motion of a golf ball (max height, max distance).

i selected this mainly because it means i can build a pneumatic air cylinder capable of firing a golf ball at approx. 30m/s :)
for me, that's pretty awesome.

ok, so i was talking to my physics teacher and he asked me how i was going to account for the wind factor on the day of testing. i don't have any ideas as to how i can control this.
so, does anyone have any ideas on this?

i AM fully prepared to change my aim/investigation provided i get to shoot 'stuff' XD

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of things you could do, depending on what your teacher thinks is possible or necessary.
1) measure the wind speed (anemometer) and direction on the day.
Decide maybe what is "too high" for your results to be valid or acceptable. (Rather like they do at the Olympics for sprinters or jumpers.) You may need to justify what you consider to be too high. Maybe relating to experimental uncertainty in the speed of the golf ball when fired.
If you go ahead
2) fire your golf ball
a) into the wind,(could reduce range) and b) with the wind (could increase range), and compare results. Maybe take an average. Will it affect the height?
3) fire the ball with wind blowing from left to right, and/or right to left. Will this affect range?
The point is, the wind needn't be a problem, so long as you intelligently account for its effects using good physics.
Good luck.

1. What is Newtonian Mechanics?

Newtonian Mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the motion of objects and the forces acting upon them. It is based on Sir Isaac Newton's three laws of motion.

2. How does wind affect Newtonian Mechanics?

Wind is a force that can affect the motion of objects. In Newtonian Mechanics, wind is taken into account as an external force that can alter the velocity and direction of an object.

3. How is wind accounted for in Newtonian Mechanics?

In Newtonian Mechanics, wind is accounted for by using vector addition. The force of wind is added to the other forces acting upon an object, and the resulting vector determines the object's motion.

4. Can wind change the trajectory of a projectile according to Newtonian Mechanics?

Yes, wind can change the trajectory of a projectile according to Newtonian Mechanics. The force of wind can cause the projectile to deviate from its original path and follow a new trajectory.

5. How does Newtonian Mechanics explain the motion of objects in a wind tunnel?

In a wind tunnel, Newtonian Mechanics explains the motion of objects by taking into account the forces of wind and the object's own inertia. The object's motion is determined by the balance of these forces.