1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtonian mechanics - extended rigid body's rotation, moment of inertia

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Figure shows the cylindrical skater, [​IMG]
    as she spins,she may be modelled as a homogeneous cylinder of raduis R, height h, and density p, with outstretched arms. The arms are cylinders as welll, also of density p, radius r and length s. All these lengths are simple multiples of r.

Calculate the moment of inertia about the axis of cylindical body I_body, the moment of inertia of each outstretched arm I_out, and the moment of inertia of each arm when it is parallel to the axis of rotation, I_down, as shown in the figure.
    2. Relevant equations

R=4r
    h=36r
    s=16r

3. The attempt at a solution

I_body = 1/2MR^2 = 4608p*pi*r
    I_out, I tried using the eq'n 1/3ML^2, where L= s+R, but someone told me this is not right since it is the eq'n for thin rod, and the cylinder is not thin.

I_down, I am thinking about parallel axis theorm, where I = Icm + Md^2, and Icm = I_body and d = r+R, but then i don't think it is very logical... so i'm stuck...

And just wondering, there's more parts to this question, can I post the question under the same thread, or should I open a new thread for next part of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

.... I_body = 1/2MR^2 = 4608p*pi*r .....

it should be r^5

For an outstretched arm:
    The rotational inertia of a rod about an axis perpendicular to its length through its middle is

[tex]I_{rod} = \frac{1}{12}ML^2[/tex]

about the skater's axis this will be an offset of

[tex]\frac{s}{2} + R[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?