Newton's cradle: Glue balls together

• Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics of Newton's cradle and the implications of gluing or replacing the last two balls. It is noted that the conservation of energy and momentum allow for multiple solutions, but if the solution of the last two balls bouncing off is forbidden, then the first ball will bounce back with -1/3 of its original velocity and the last two balls will bounce off with 2/3 of the original velocity.
greypilgrim
Hi.

Assuming only one ball is pulled away and let go, it's fairly easy to show that momentum and/or energy conservation would be violated if this made two balls to bounce off on the other side (if the other ones remain still).

So what happens if we glue the last to balls together or replace them with one ball twice the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
The physics of Newtons cradle is a lot more complicated than this.

My guess is the ball you pull away and let go bounces back (in addition to the heavy one moving off).

Practice with a row of coins on a smooth table.

I know that conservation of energy and momentum allow for more than one solution and you need to take into account the elasticity of the balls to find which solution is realized. So I wonder what happens if we forbid this solution, i.e. by glueing the last two balls together.

If the first ball has velocity v, conservation of energy and momentum are satisfied when the first ball bounces back with -1/3 v and the last two balls bounce off with 2/3 v. I guess this solution will be realized instead.

1. How does gluing the balls in Newton's cradle affect its motion?

Gluing the balls in Newton's cradle together will greatly affect its motion. Since the balls are now stuck together, they will not be able to transfer energy to each other through collision, resulting in no movement at all.

2. Can I still demonstrate the conservation of energy with glued balls in Newton's cradle?

No, gluing the balls in Newton's cradle together will not demonstrate the conservation of energy. The whole concept of the cradle relies on the transfer of energy through collisions between the balls, which will not happen with glued balls.

3. Will the glued balls in Newton's cradle eventually break or fall apart?

It is possible for the glued balls in Newton's cradle to eventually break or fall apart. The glue may not be strong enough to hold the weight of the balls, especially if the cradle is repeatedly used. Additionally, the constant movement and collisions could also cause the glue to weaken over time.

4. Is gluing the balls in Newton's cradle safe?

Gluing the balls in Newton's cradle is generally safe as long as the glue is non-toxic and properly applied. However, it is important to note that the glued cradle will not function as intended and may not be as visually appealing.

5. Can I reverse the gluing process and separate the balls in Newton's cradle?

It is possible to reverse the gluing process and separate the balls in Newton's cradle, but it may be difficult and could potentially damage the cradle. The best solution would be to purchase a new cradle or use a different demonstration for the conservation of energy.