1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Law of Gravitation ratio

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass M is split into two parts, m and M - m, which are then separated by a certain distance. What ratio m/M maximizes the magnitude of the gravitational force between the parts?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first just tried plugging in M - m and m in for m1 and m2 to see what I get.

I believe that I will have to take a derivative to find the maximum, but I am confused as to what I should take the derivative with respect to.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    you should not need a derivative. look at extreme cases. if the ratio of M/m was 1000, what would the force be like? what if the ratio was smaller, say 2?
  4. Nov 12, 2007 #3
    That is true, but I need to prove that is 1/2. The only way I can think of doing that is with a derivative. Although I do see the logic in what you are saying about taking the extreme cases.
  5. Nov 12, 2007 #4
    try assigning integers to the variables M and d, since they do not change based upon different m values. also, recheck the GMm-Gm part of the equation. I got something else for if i plugged in the values like you did.
  6. Nov 13, 2007 #5
    Starting with the regular equation for the force of gravity:

Let [tex]m_0=M-m[/tex] and [tex]m_1=m[/tex]

Substitute into the first equation:

To maximize [tex]F[/tex], [tex]Mm-m^2[/tex] has to be maximized.

Take its derivative with respect to [tex]m[/tex] and set it to zero:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?