Newton's Laws and finding acceleration

In summary, a 1.0 kg brick slides down an inclined ice roof at a 30 degree angle with respect to the horizontal. Starting from rest, the brick reaches the edge of the roof 0.90s later. The problem requires finding the final velocity using the equation v_f=v_i+at, where v_f is the final velocity, v_i is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The values for these variables are unknown and need to be determined in order to solve the problem.
physics_10

Homework Statement

A brick of mass 1.0 kg slides down an ice roof inclined at 30 degrees with respect to the horizantal. If the brick starts from rest, how fast is it moving when it reaches the edge of the roof 0.90s later? Ignore friction

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
v2 = v1 + 1/2 at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start with this problem. I attempted to find acceleration but just have no clue what to do :S any help would be great thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to physics forums!Try using:

[tex]v_f=v_i+at[/tex]

Where

[tex]v_f = [/tex] final velocity

[tex]v_i = [/tex] initial velocity

a = acceleration
t = time

What are the values for the variables listed above?

Last edited:

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three laws developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed through the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. How do you find acceleration using Newton's Laws?

To find acceleration using Newton's Laws, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the object and m is its mass. By rearranging the equation to solve for a, you can calculate the object's acceleration.

5. Can Newton's Laws be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be applied to all types of motion, including linear motion, rotational motion, and even the motion of objects in fluids. They are fundamental principles that govern the motion of objects in the universe.