1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where brick hits ground after sliding off a roof w/ friction

1. Dec 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Brick is sliding off a roof, starts at the peak of the roof (7.0 m above ground), slides down roof with kinetic friction value of 0.28, very edge of roof is 4.0 m above ground. Where does the brick land on the ground?
    Please see image - http://imgur.com/wNdtlWD

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted the solution by:

drawing force diagram of brick (@ = angle of incline, 30 degrees) which gives the acceleration down (acceleration down the roof = positive direction) the roof by:
    ma = mgsin@ - frictional force
    ma = mgsin30 - 0.28

Now should I just continue to solve for the acceleration and then treat this as a projectile? If so, can someone walk me through it?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

0.28 is not the frictional force. It is the coefficient of kinetic friction. How do you obtain the frictional force from the coefficient?

4. Dec 20, 2015 #3
    Oh yeah!
    The frictional force (Ff) = coefficient of kinetic friciton * Fn = 0.28 * mgcos@

5. Dec 20, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good.
    So, at what speed does it leave the roof?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted