Newtons laws of motion, tension problem

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the strap must be adjusted to a tension of 3.15 N in order to provide the necessary upward force of 5 N on the chin, as calculated using vectors and trigonometry. This is based on the fact that the net upward forces of the two straps must equal 5 N and that the tension is the same throughout the strap.
Ewiges00

Homework Statement

Due to a jaw injury, a patient must wear a strap (see the figure) that produces a net upward force of 5.00 N on his chin. The tension is the same throughout the strap.

1027442.jpg

To what tension must the strap be adjusted to provide the necessary upward force?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=O??

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the answer its 3.15 N I can't figure out how to get it though. I'm assuming its a equilibrium problem and if it needs an upward force of 5N the force due to gravity would also be 5, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use vectors and trig. The net upward forces of the two straps must equal 5 Newtons. Draw a vector diagram with two right triangles.

You first need to solve for the horizontal forces. Then use trig to find the hypotenuse of your right triangle. Divide that answer by two (the force needs to be distributed equally between the straps), and you get 3.15N.

aeroengineer said:
Use vectors and trig. The net upward forces of the two straps must equal 5 Newtons. Draw a vector diagram with two right triangles.

You first need to solve for the horizontal forces. Then use trig to find the hypotenuse of your right triangle. Divide that answer by two (the force needs to be distributed equally between the straps), and you get 3.15N.

Thanks for the response! I am not sure where to start with finding the horizontal forces. The y vector component 5sin(angle)?? When I make the two right triangles, I cut the 75 in half correct?

How do I know the force due to gravity is actually 5n? I plug it into check my answer and I keep getting something other then 0. How can I calculate the force due to gravity? What about normal force?

that produces a net upward force of 5.00 N on his chin. The tension is the same throughout the strap.
The above statement takes into account all the forces including the gravitational force.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687. They describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the mathematical equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force on the first object.

5. How do Newton's laws of motion apply to tension problems?

In tension problems, Newton's laws of motion can be used to calculate the unknown forces acting on an object that is being pulled by multiple forces. The sum of all forces acting on the object must equal its mass times its acceleration (F=ma). This can be solved using the equations for Newton's second law and the law of action and reaction.