What does the scale read when two 100N weights are attached to a spring scale?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a spring scale and how it would read when two 100N weights are attached to it. Through analyzing a force diagram and comparing it to a similar situation with a wall, it is concluded that the scale would read 100N, as both blocks essentially replace the wall's reaction force. The person seeking clarification also mentions their difficulty in understanding Newton's laws of motion.
alex_the_seal

Homework Statement

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2996/physicswb9.th.png

Two 100N weights are attached to a spring scale as shown. What does the scale read?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This concept is difficult for me to grasp. My natural instinct would suggest that the scale would read 200N, but I know this can't be right.

What I know (or think I know) is that the system is in static equilibrium with ΣF=0. The weight force of the block on the left is 100N, same for the block on the right. Now I notice that if I were to remove one of the blocks, say the left one, and tie the loose end to a wall, the solution becomes obvious, the scale would read 100N.

I know the answer is 100N. What I don't know is why the answer is 100N. There is a fundamental concept of Newton's laws that I am not getting here. Specifically Newton's third law. Can someone please explain this to me as if I were a 2 year old, with big colourful pictures preferably drawn in crayon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First we have to make clear what the reading on the spring scale means. It means the current tension force in the spring scale.

So, I would say that the "reading" of the scale in this "situation" will be the same in the usual situation where one end of the scale is fixed on a wall. The two situations are equivalent, as you already proved in your analysis; each scale in each situation is in equilibrium.

Yes, the second block essentially 'replaces' the wall as far as forces are concerned. You can see this quite easily if you sketch a quick force diagram; The 100N the extra block exerts on the spring, is the same 100N which would be excerted by a wall, if the spring were attached to a wall.

For the spring scale to work, it ofcourse has to be in equilibrium (otherwise it would accalerate and won't measure the correct weight). A wall simply provides a reaction force equal to the weight exerted by the object to be measured.

(Another consequence of this is, that when you tie something to the wall and pull it, you can pull it just as hard as when you replace the wall with a second person who pulls as hard as you. If you understand this, you'll also understand the spring-scale problem)

Last edited:
wololoh said:
Yes, the second block essentially 'replaces' the wall as far as forces are concerned. You can see this quite easily if you sketch a quick force diagram; The 100N the extra block exerts on the spring, is the same 100N which would be excerted by a wall, if the spring were attached to a wall.

For the spring scale to work, it ofcourse has to be in equilibrium (otherwise it would accalerate and won't measure the correct weight). A wall simply provides a reaction force equal to the weight exerted by the object to be measured.

(Another consequence of this is, that when you tie something to the wall and pull it, you can pull it just as hard as when you replace the wall with a second person who pulls as hard as you. If you understand this, you'll also understand the spring-scale problem)

Thank you, the solution is clear now.

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the motion of objects in our everyday world. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in a state of uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will not change its velocity unless a force is applied to it.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

How are Newton's Laws used in real life?

Newton's Laws are used in a wide range of applications, from simple everyday tasks such as riding a bike to more complex scientific experiments and engineering projects. They are crucial in understanding and predicting the motion of objects and are the foundation of many modern technologies, such as rockets and airplanes.